Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Smartpilot S2 to seatalkNG
07-16-18, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-18 01:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Smartpilot S2 to seatalkNG
Hi

Provided I have a working SeatalkNG network with a p70 control head and other instruments connected to seatalkNG. Could I use a D244 3way seatalk1 block, connect the S2 computer and seatalk1 to seatalkNG converter kit with that is in turn connected to the seatalkNG backbone? Will I be able to use the P70 contrôle head to operate the S2 computer in this fashion?

Note that I know I should not connect the S2 seatalk1 red power wire as the seatalkNG is already powered and that would provide power twice to the NG backbone.

Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-18, 01:33 PM
RE: [CA11] Smartpilot S2 to seatalkNG
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Godind,

The p70/p70S/p70R/p70RS autopilot control heads feature communications circuitry which will support either SeaTalk or SeaTalkng communications, but not both simultaneously. When interfaced to a S1/S2/S3/S1G/S2G/S3G autopilot course computer, a p70/p70S/p70R/p70RS autopilot control head must be installed as a SeaTalk device rather than a SeaTalkng Device. In the case of a S1/S2/S3/S1G/S2G/S3G autopilot course computer, these course computers feature two SeaTalk ports. It is recommended that one of these SeaTalk ports be interfaced to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable. This same D244 SeaTalk Junction Block would then be interfaced to the p70/p70S/p70R/p70RS autopilot control head via an A06073 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable (supports only SeaTalk communications). It is recommended that second of these SeaTalk ports be interfaced to a second D244 SeaTalk Junction Block via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable. This same D244 SeaTalk Junction Block would then be interfaced to the SeaTalk socket of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter using the cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. It is recommended that the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update. As you have indicated the SeaTalk bus which which will be connected to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will not be powered (disconnect the red lead of the SeaTalk Cable connecting its bus to the course computer's SeaTalk port.
07-17-18, 01:47 PM
Hi chuck

Just to clarify, you can’t connect a S2 computer to a seatalkNG network (with the required adapter...) and operate it using a P70s connected to the SeatalkNG, right?
07-17-18, 02:31 PM
Correct.
07-17-18, 03:48 PM
Excellent. Thank you