Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Fluxgate compass upgrade to EV-1
08-08-18, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-18 03:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Fluxgate compass upgrade to EV-1
It is a short question but better to have full information. My current autopilot configuration consists of a SPX30, Type 2 hydraulic drive, ST-70 control units at upper and lower helm, and fluxgate compass properly located. The components are connected with STng to a series of Axiom 9s, Axiom 9RV and ES98 all upgraded to lighthouse 3.6.[censored], which are are all connected by both STng and Raynet (pulling in other instruments such as HD radar). Although not fully integrated with Axiom, the ST70 has been operating to my satisfaction until recently. I have not yet tried a factory reset but the fluxgate compass seems to be totally out of wack with readings out by 40 degrees and bouncing around (and quite frankly has always been a little problematic). The ST-70 seems to be managing the heading on auto and +/- 10 etc (presumably using GPS??), but it is not capable of following a route without doing an abrupt off course turn or getting off course. Maybe not the easiest solution, but the technology offered by EV-1 would be far superior. The literature indicates that it is compatable with ST-70 controller but it doesn't say that it is not compatable with an SPX-30. Could you please advise whether the SPX-30 will continue to do the job or is it is necessary to upgrade to ACU-400?? Or if you have any other welcome comments. Thank you. Don Furney
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-18, 04:00 PM
RE: [CA11] Fluxgate compass upgrade to EV-1
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dfurney,

The EV-1 CCU cannot be installed as a spur to the backbone to function as a replacement heading sensor for your ailing SPX30 Autopilot. The EV-1 CCU combines the functions of heading sensor and course computer into a single device. Installation of an EV-1 CCU would additionally require:
- replacement of the SPX30 with and ACU400
- replacement of the ST70 autopilot control head with a p70S or p70RS autopilot control head or addition of a p70S or p70RS autopilot control head. While the ST70 autopilot control head may be retained for use at second station, a p70S or p70RS autopilot control head must be used to configure an Evolution autopilot.
08-15-18, 08:27 PM
Not the news I wanted but Thank you Chuck
08-16-18, 08:01 AM
You're welcome.