Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
e120 CLASSIC NETWORK
04-19-16, 01:13 PM
e120 CLASSIC NETWORK
I have a Raymarine E120 classic with a Seatalk hs and NMEA 2000 backbone that I am wanting to get GPS capabilities on. Currently my GPS is hooked up to a C80 classis via a seatalk plug from a gyroplus II black box. Is there an adaptor wire (and if so what is the model number) that I need to install on the gyro plus II that would hook into a T on the sea talk HS or NMEA backbone?

Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-16, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-16 01:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: e120 CLASSIC NETWORK
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Kenneth,

The GyroPlus (also known as the Pathfinder Smart Heading System), cannot be installed in the manner which you have suggested. Most legacy SeaTalk devices, excluding the GyroPlus, may be interfaced to a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. In this case it is recommended that the Gyroplus and C-Series Classic MFD be interfaced to one another via an unpowered SeaTalk bus (i.e. the red leads of the SeaTalk cables connecting the C-Series Classic MFD and GyroPlus to the SeaTalk bus should not be interfaced to the red (SeaTalk Power) terminals of the products' SeaTalk port). The GyroPlus will need to be powered via its power terminals. The SeaTalk bus will in turn be interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which has in turn been installed as a part of the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone. The SeaTalk bus will be powered by the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The NMEA 0183 10Hz heading port the GyroPlus may then be interfaced to both the NMEA 0183 input port of both the C-Series Classic MFD and E-Series Classic MFD. Linearization and alignment of the GyroPlus would continue to be performed via the C-Series Classic MFD.
04-19-16, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-16 09:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you but I am not quite following you. Currently the Gyro Plus plugs directly into the C80 and has independent power and ground cables. The plugin appears to be quadrilateral in design. Ultimately all I want done is for the GPS antenna to be connected to the E120 either through the NMEA connection or directly into the back of the E120. My limited understanding is the gyro plus II is for auto pilot but I do not have auto pilot so it seems using this add on is pointless. I am using the C80 strictly for sonar and sirus satellite service.

How can one just connect the Raymarine GPS antenna to an E120 classic without going through the Gyro Plus? it seems this piece is complicating the network when it is truly not needed.
04-20-16, 09:28 AM
Kenneth,

The prior response and the information which follows would support providing GPS and heading data to the NMEA 2000 backbone to which the MFD has been interfaced. The red color coded terminal of the GyroPlus's SeaTalk port and the terminal marked "R" of the C-Series Classic MFD's SeaTalk port are both powered. To avoid a ground loop, these terminals must not be connected to the SeaTalk bus when using a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. As the C-Series Classic MFD and GyroPlus are presently linked via a single SeaTalk Cable, it is recommended that this cable be disconnected from the MFD's SeaTalk port and instead be interfaced to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The red lead of this SeaTalk cable should be disconnected from the red color coded SeaTalk terminal of the GyroPlus. The C-Series Classic MFD's SeaTalk port will also be interfaced to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block using an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable. This SeaTalk Cable will need to be cut and then spliced back together, splicing all leads except of the cable's red leads. The SeaTalk Cable's red leads will need to be insulated to prevent shorting. Finally, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will be used to join the D244 SeaTalk Junction block to the SeaTalk socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

An alternative method of supplying the E-Series Classic MFD with GPS data is to simply link the E-Series Classic MFD to the SeaTalk bus used by the C-Series Classic MFD. To do so, it is recommended that the SeaTalk Cable be disconnected from the C-Series Classic MFD's SeaTalk port and instead be interfaced to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The C-Series Classic MFD's SeaTalk port will also be interfaced to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block using an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable. The SeaTalk leads of the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable supplied with the E-Series Classic MFD would then spliced to an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable which would then be plugged into the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block.

While the E-Series Classic MFD will be supplied with 1Hz heading data using either of these methods, interfacing the NMEA 0183 OUT port of the GyroPlus additionally to the E-Series Classic MFD's NMEA 0183 Cable will then permit the E-Series Classic MFD to be supplied with 10Hz heading data.

Should you need the assistance of a Certified Raymarine Installer, one may be found Certified Raymarine Installer.