Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading from SL70 to ev200 and E127’s
07-31-18, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-18 09:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Upgrading from SL70 to ev200 and E127’s
Chuck I Found tge darn sonar label while I was pokinking around getting the ecu numbers for Allen at Fox marine. Photo too big too attach from my phone so the info is as follow
AIRMAR 11/12
50-200khz-A
PN: 31-272-9-01
Rev: 03
Customer part #: B45-50200-MM

And most important!!.....MADE IN UNITED STATES!!!!

Sorry to be a source of rectal discomfort for missing the label are we still on track with the adapter cable?
Killer day at the lake today!
Best
Mark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-18, 09:12 AM
Mark,

Unfortunately, we weren't able to find any information within our database about the Airmar PN: 31-272-9-01. However, as indicated previously, should it have been interfaced directly to your DSM, then it may be adapted as specified for use with an e127 MFD.
08-11-18, 07:45 PM
Hi Chuck
I am hoping you are still on this thread.
I am presently installing the ev200, hd radar and twin E127s
Couple wuestions on the install if I may.
1) Do I need to put a manual on/ off switch between the breaker and the power battery cable connection to both the radar and the autopilot actuator to “ switch them on” or do they get switched on by using the radar on the E127 and the p70 control head for the autopilot actuator. In other words do I arrange to switch them on and off manually or are they energised on use by the system?

2) I am Bringing the radar into the ES5 switch then planned to connect both e127 units to the same ES5. I purchased the sonar adapter cable as you suggested so is this plugged into one if the screens directly or through the Es5 also?

3)unfortunately unable to use Fox Marine gateways as Allen does not have the units for the PCM 555 ecms. However he is working on them presently. I may have to go with the mercruiser gateway which has a single nmea 2000 output connection. I presume this would be connected into our NG backbone using an adaper cable?

If you spot a very over accessorized Regal 3880 doing endless circles in the lake this week you know I got it wrong!
Very best
Mark
08-13-18, 10:52 AM
Mark,

Please excuse the delay in this response, as I was at the lake last week ... didn't see any vessels acting any more oddly than they typically do ... LOL!

Q1) Do I need to put a manual on/ off switch between the breaker and the power battery cable connection to both the radar and the autopilot actuator to “ switch them on” or do they get switched on by using the radar on the E127 and the p70 control head for the autopilot actuator. In other words do I arrange to switch them on and off manually or are they energised on use by the system?
A1) You will need to put a manual on/off switch between the breaker and the power battery cable connection to both the radar and the autopilot actuator, as neither the autopilot control head nor the MFD are control the power state of these devices.

Q2a) I am ringing the radar into the ES5 switch then planned to connect both e127 units to the same ES5.
A2a) I assume that you mean that the Digital Radar Cable has been connected to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. If so, then this is indeed correct.

Q2b) I purchased the sonar adapter cable as you suggested so is this plugged into one if the screens directly or through the Es5 also?
A2b) The E66066 transducer adapter cable will be mated to the Transducer socket of either one of the e127 MFDs. The other end of this adapter will be mated to the transducer cable's plug.

Q3)unfortunately unable to use Fox Marine gateways as Allen does not have the units for the PCM 555 ecms. However he is working on them presently. I may have to go with the mercruiser gateway which has a single nmea 2000 output connection. I presume this would be connected into our NG backbone using an adaper cable?
A3) It's good to learn that Allen is planning more applications for his engine gateways. I believe that you will find that the NMEA 2000 side of the SmartCraft to NMEA 2000 Engine Gateway has been terminated with a DeviceNet (M) plug. If so, then it may be adapted (A06075 1m DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Adapter) to be mated to a spur socket within the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which has been constructed using SeaTalkng networking components.
08-13-18, 01:49 PM
Thanks Chuck
1)Yes the Radar is plugged into the ES5 so if the depth transducer is plugged into one of the mfd’s will the depth info be avaiable on both screens?

2)Likewise do I need to plug a spur cable from the backbone running the AP into both screens or just one and it will be shared?

3)Is it preferable to switch the power on to the backbone independantly so that it can be used by both the chartplotter and the AP even if one of them is off.? For example I cant think of an instance where I would use the AP without the chartplotter being on but I can see using the chartplotter without needing the AP being on. So either switch it on with the Chartplotter switching or switch it on as a standalone? As it is fued at 5 amps
I am thinking it would be better to make it standalone.

Many thanks
Mark
08-13-18, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-18 02:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Mark,

Q1)Yes the Radar is plugged into the ES5 so if the depth transducer is plugged into one of the mfd’s will the depth info be avaiable on both screens?
A1) As long as the MFD having the transducer plugged into its Transducer socket is switched ON, then each MFD would then have access to fishfinder imagery and depth data. Should that MFD be switched OFF, then the other MFD would loose access to fishfinder imagery and depth data.

Q2)Likewise do I need to plug a spur cable from the backbone running the AP into both screens or just one and it will be shared?
A2) The answer to your question depends upon whether you intend to have both MFDs switched ON when operating the system if so, then only one MFD need be interfaced to the backbone and this MFD will be designed as the system's Data Master MFD. If not, then both MFDs should be interfaced to the backbone, permitting either MFD to be designated as the system's Data Master MFD. In the case of the latter, it would also be recommended that the DSM300 be retained and interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. The transducer would then be connected to the DSM300 MFD rather than to the transducer socket of one of the MFDs. The latter option also provides the system with an added level of redundancy.

Q3)Is it preferable to switch the power on to the backbone independantly so that it can be used by both the chartplotter and the AP even if one of them is off.? For example I cant think of an instance where I would use the AP without the chartplotter being on but I can see using the chartplotter without needing the AP being on. So either switch it on with the Chartplotter switching or switch it on as a standalone? As it is fued at 5 amps
I am thinking it would be better to make it standalone.
A3) Yes. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing recommendations for setting up circuits to power the marine electronics.
08-13-18, 03:09 PM
Hi Cuck
I like the edundancy idea of the DSM300
Do all dsm300 units have the same connectors and how would it be connected to the HS5 ?

Agree some very questionable Nav going on at the Lake in August!
08-14-18, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-18 09:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Mark,

The Ethernet communications ports of the DSM300 features a SeaTalkhs socket design while that of the currently manufactured Raymarine equipment features a RayNet socket design. A DSM30/300 maybe interfaced to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch via a cable assembly which has been constructed from an A80272 RayNet (M) Pins to SThs (M) Socket Adaptor Cable and an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.
08-14-18, 09:49 PM
Thank you Chuck
Attaching pictire of connection cable I have found to connect dsm300 and the HS5
Hopefully this will work
My next mission is to find a way of getting at the seastar bleed valves on the hydraulic steering as Regal decided in a moment of sheer genius to mount the generator over the top of the steering assembly! Know any techs with 2 inch diameter uv jointed arms 4 foot long ?
Very best
Mark
08-15-18, 07:53 AM
Mark,

It is not recommended that the RayNet (F) to RJ45 (M) cable alone be used for this purpose. Unlike most third party devices having a RJ45 (F) socket, the SeaTalkhs socket does not feature a recess to permit the RJ45 (M) plug's tab to lock into. Additionally, a simple RJ45 (M) plug will leave the DMS's SeaTalkhs socket exposed. In contrast, the SeaTalkhs (M) plug is designed to:
- align the plug's RJ45 (M) pins with the SeaTalkhs socket
- secure the plug's RJ45 (M) connect to the SeaTalkhs socket
- seal the SeaTalkhs socket