Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading from SL70 to ev200 and E127’s
09-20-18, 07:42 AM
RE: [CA11] Upgrading from SL70 to ev200 and E127’s
Hi Chuck
Have the whole installation pretty much complete thanks for your help!
I have a problem getting the autopilot heading to get anywhere near the liquid filled compass on board its around 30 degrees out so I need to experiment a little there. The heading sensor core is aligned with the centre line of the boat and deviation has run out to be 17 degrees on 2 separate calibrations and as the deviation around the lake area is about 14 degrees anyway I guess its not far off but have to experiment a little with this.
I wanted you to know that the autopilot deals with transitioning to run on one engine only and holds a heading perfectly. Very impressive because it deals with gradually alternating the drives at 8 knots then steers perfectly up on the plane using both engines at 18 knots. Amazing!
I am presently connecting existing analogue cameras and have a question. I have two E127 mfds and there is one bnc video connection on each of the power leads.
I also have R7003 video leads connected to each mfd and they too have a bnc connector. Does this mean two cameras per mfd can be connected? One onto the power cable bnc and one onto theR70003 bnc? I need 4 camera connections and trying to get by without a switch or network.
Very best
Mark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-18, 10:48 AM
Mark,

Q1. The heading sensor core is aligned with the centre line of the boat and deviation has run out to be 17 degrees on 2 separate calibrations and as the deviation around the lake area is about 14 degrees anyway I guess its not far off but have to experiment a little with this.
A1. The most important thing to verify with Evolution autopilots is that all components have been updated with the latest software and that a Pilot Factory Reset operation is performed after having performed software update(s) to the autopilot. Regarding deviation, you may be confusing magnetic deviation with magnetic variation. Deviation is defined as deflection right or left of the magnetic meridian caused by magnetic properties of the vessel. The angular difference between the true meridian (great circle connecting the geographic poles) and the magnetic meridian (direction of the lines of magnetic flux) is called variation. This variation has different values at different locations on the Earth. When comparing heading values with a fluid filled compass, be certain that the MFD's settings have been configured to report magnetic bearings rather than true bearings, as a vessel's fluid filled compass reports magnetic bearings.

Upon completion of the Detecting Magnetics portion of autopilot sea trialing, a maximum deviation value will be reported. It is recommended that the chosen site for the EV-1 CCU not produce magnetic deviation greater than 9.9 degrees. If so, then another site for the EV-1 CCU should be selected or that objects producing a magnetic field be removed from the area of the EV-1 CCU. After achieving the above, it may be necessary to align the compass to correct the reported value. Up to 9.9 degrees of compass error may be corrected via the autopilot's control head (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->VESSEL SETTINGS->COMPASS OFFSET). To view more on this subject, please click here.

As a calm day on lakes present very little leeway effect, displaying the COG and Heading Vectors within the MFD's Chart application, setting their length to Infinite, and then operating the vessel on a constant heading can be an easy way to check whether the compass is properly aligned. Most of the time when operating my system, the COG and Heading Vectors will either overlay one another or be with a degree or so.

Q2. I wanted you to know that the autopilot deals with transitioning to run on one engine only and holds a heading perfectly. Very impressive because it deals with gradually alternating the drives at 8 knots then steers perfectly up on the plane using both engines at 18 knots. Amazing!
A2. Fantastic

Q3. I am presently connecting existing analogue cameras and have a question. I have two E127 mfds and there is one bnc video connection on each of the power leads. I also have R70003 video leads connected to each mfd and they too have a bnc connector. Does this mean two cameras per mfd can be connected? One onto the power cable bnc and one onto the R70003 bnc?
A3. Yes.

Q4. I need 4 camera connections and trying to get by without a switch or network.
A4. Noted. Please be aware that video from an analog camera will only be visible on MFD running LightHouse II software to which it has been interfaced ... unless the camera video is instead encoded and connected to the system's Ethernet network. The latter has been incorporated on my own boat and provides the flexibility to view video from any camera on any of the system's MFDs.
09-20-18, 04:16 PM
Many thanks Chuck
I only require images from back uo cams at present so thus will work great.
I will go out and go ghrough the compass alignment next week as I am presently interfacing both the engines and installing Sirius weather.
I appreciate your help as always
Best
Mark
07-24-19, 09:10 AM
Hi Chuck
Back to the lake!
Just checked the firmware versions on the system and the ev100 and the I70s require updating. Looks like the ACU is up to date as I am attempting to solve the 30 degree difference in the onboard compass heading and that being displayed by the system.
Deviation is at 7 degrees.
When I attempt to update via wifi on the E127 it tells me no updates are available for any of the products but when you look at them on diagnostics they are indeed out of date.
Is it actually possible to update these devices via the mfd and wifi or does it have to be done from a card.
Many thanks
Mark
07-25-19, 12:44 PM
Mark,

Indeed should these devices not be listed for software updates via WiFi, then it would be necessary to update the software within these devices via a microSD memory card which has been populated with the corresponding software update files. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing actions which must occur following an update to the software of an Evolution autopilot. Finally, please note that the heading value produced by the autopilot and COG alone should be compared ... and only when the vessel in underway on a constant heading. Should these data items be close in value, then it would indicate that an object producing a magnetic field has been installed / positioned near your vessel's fluid filled compass and/or the vessel's fluid filled compass needs to be re-calibrated.
07-25-19, 04:43 PM
Thanks Chuck
Just so I understand correctly:

1) are there firmware updates that cannot be applied by wifi connection with the MFD and can only be performed by downloading to a micro sd card then put into the mfd?
2) when I factory reset the autopilot from the P70Rs does that reset both the ACU and the EV 200 combined? Ie “autopilot factory reset”
3) If so I would assume the order of reset would be first the autopilot reset( acu and ev200) followed by the P70Rs?
4) I have tried 4 locations now for the ev 200 and cant get deviation less than 19 degrees???one location was midships more or less water line at least 5 feet from machinery etc ..... which is difficult!!!
Next move is to bring it up into the salon and try distancing above everything but I thought I could try a factory reset first.
I am unable to get the latest firmware through the mfd and wifi so will have to wait until I go home and get them with my pc. Then start over.
07-26-19, 08:24 AM
Mark,

Q1) are there firmware updates that cannot be applied by wifi connection with the MFD and can only be performed by downloading to a micro sd card then put into the mfd?
A1) Indeed, it appears so. It is quite possible that the system is looking at the list of software updates which were included with the LightHouse II v19.03 compressed folder. The contents of this compressed folder has not been maintained since the retirement of LightHouse II software. However, one may compare the currently installed version of software within each product to that listed on the respective product's web page and if found to not be current, then the corresponding software update file may be downloaded from the product's software update web page, copied/extracted to a microSD memory card, inserted into the memory card reader of the Data Master MFD, and then used to update the product. The software update files for multiple products may be copied to the root level directory of a microSD memory card.

Q2) when I factory reset the autopilot from the P70Rs does that reset both the ACU and the EV 200 combined? Ie “autopilot factory reset”
A2. The is a difference between a Factory Reset to a p70/p70R/p70S/p70RS autopilot control head and a Pilot Factory Reset. The latter will reset the ACU and EV-1/2 settings. The former will reset only the autopilot control head's settings. While it shouldn't make a difference, I typically will perform the Pilot Factory Reset before performing the Factory Reset to the autopilot's control head.

Q3) If so I would assume the order of reset would be first the autopilot reset( acu and ev200) followed by the P70Rs?
A3. See the response to Q2.

Q4) I have tried 4 locations now for the ev 200 and cant get deviation less than 19 degrees???one location was midships more or less water line at least 5 feet from machinery etc ..... which is difficult!!!
A4) Depending upon the equipment installed onboard and the design of the vessel, some vessels can indeed be a challenge to locate a satisfactory installation location. The keys to locating a satisfactory installation location are that it permit the sensor to be located reasonably close to the centerline and that magnetic influences be minimized ... after all and like most vessel compasses, the EV-1/2 CCUs are magnetic north seeking devices.
07-26-19, 12:08 PM
Thanks Chuck
Load and Clear!
You were right that I now wonder how I ever did without an AP on the Lake for all those years
Written from Braun Bay!
Best
Mark
07-26-19, 12:42 PM
You're welcome.
07-30-19, 02:14 PM
Chuck
I just wanted to follow up and let you know the problem I found.
I relocated the ev1 sensor core from deck level to approx 5 feet higher completed factory reset on everything obtained 1 deg deviation on 3 compass resets. This allowed the AP to be able to be synched with the Gps.
Ran nice long course very calm and COG was constantly within 1 degree of heading in differing directions

Onboard compass still reading 20+ degrees higher so checked with separate electronic compass . Turns out its out that amount! Who would have thunk!

Last quick question on the AP ..
is there any remote control that will allow confirmation of altering course when using the autopilot in track mode. This cannot be done from the cell app. Using the E127 MFD

Thanks again
Mark