Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] C80 classic upgrade to 5.16 not working
07-30-18, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-18 12:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] C80 classic upgrade to 5.16 not working
I am trying to upgrade a c80 classic mfd to 5.16. I downloaded the update to my local PC, unzipped it and copied two files to the root of a SANDISK 512 MB CF card. in the root of the card it shows two files: C_App_Prod516.pkg and AUTORUN.DOB

it says to power off the MFD, remove the chart chip, insert the software upgrade chip, power on and the update will begin. the unit restarts normally and all I see is the normal start up/legal page that says press ok to continue. at the bottom of that page it shows the current version of 2.17
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-18, 12:42 PM
RE: [CA11] C80 classic upgrade to 5.16 not working
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Msy380,

By the account given, you appear to have correctly populated the CF memory can and also performed the software update attempt. Unfortunately, it appears that the CF memory card is not compatible with the boot loader of the MFD. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
07-19-19, 10:58 AM
I have a similar problem with my C80.

It runs OK with v3.18 software, and a USA East card (CF/16XG) displays fine. I want to upgrade the software because a newer Navionics+ card I purchased does not "zoom in" to show chart details.
The C80 does not recognize either a FAT32-formatted CF card or a FAT16-formatted CF card (128MB).

I have not been successful in contacting RadarMarine about this issue via phone or email. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
07-19-19, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-19 12:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum grba5917,

Upon seeing your report, I phoned Radar Marine ((360) 733-2012) and got through on the first attempt. That said, they are indeed busy, so it's best to leave a message (and be patient) or to order the software update card via Radar Marine's web page. Alternatively, send a message with your phone number to rob@radarmarine.com. Unfortunately, the C-Series Classic MFDs are exclusively compatible with Navionics Gold and HotMaps cartography which has been programmed onto a Navionics CF chart card. Gold cartography has been replaced by Navionics+ cartography products with. If using a Navionics+ chart card with these MFDs, the chart card's contents will typically need to be erased (via the Navionics Chart Installer program) and then re-populated with no more than 2GB of nautical charts for the geographic area in which the boat will be operated.
07-19-19, 06:29 PM
I did receive a call back from Rob at Radarmarine today, and I ordered a CF card with v5.15 pre-loaded. It sounds like this will get me started. I understand some of the limitations of dealing with ancient hardware and software, being a bit of a dinosaur myself.
Thanks for the help.
Greg
07-22-19, 10:32 AM
You're welcome.