Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Splice R70-Pathfinder cable?
07-31-18, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-18 12:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Splice R70-Pathfinder cable?
My AWI failed (bad masthead connector). The rigger tried to pull the old cable to run a line to haul down the new cable. Fail - the old cable won't move. The cable is in a conduit filled with various wires. Presumably to the point where nothing moves. The rigger said "gotta pull the mast to sort out this wiring mess." Since the mast has a couple of unrelated tasks, I reluctantly agreed to allow pulling the mast. On the mast is a Pathfinder antenna which feeds an R70 display. That's the prologue.

The connector at the R70 end of the cable can no longer pass through the [censored] drilled to pass the cable and connector. Several power cables and a 6 AWG wire now run through the [censored]. There is zero free space in the [censored].

If the mast is coming out, the radar cable has to come out of the nav station. That's simply not an option. I thought about enlarging the [censored]. Access to the [censored] is miserable. Trying to open the [censored], with a cutting or grinding tool, is almost certain to damage one or more cables.

The alternate route, to free up the mast for pulling, is to bring the cable down from the Pathfinder unit. The rigger basically won't do it. The only remaining option to be able to pull the mast is to break and splice the radar cable. Is this possible? It's my understanding that tampering with the HSB2 part of the wiring is "not allowed" (upsets impedance, causes signal reflections, whatever). Additionally, I assume the video wiring is similarly "not allowed".

Can the cable be cut and reconnected (probably with some sort of terminal strip or junction box, if one exists)?

(There is a possible Plan B - pull the VHF RG8 cable in hopes of freeing up a bit under a 1/2" of space in the wiring conduit. With the RG8 gone, run the AWL cable and then use thinner RG8X for the VHF antenna. If so, pulling the mast isn't needed.)

You and I may agree, but we could both be wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-18, 12:08 PM
RE: [CA11] Splice R70-Pathfinder cable?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum ,

Q. The only remaining option to be able to pull the mast is to break and splice the radar cable. Is this possible? Can the cable be cut and reconnected (probably with some sort of terminal strip or junction box, if one exists)?
A. It is not only possible, it is quite common for the cables of mast mounted analog radomes to be cut and then re-joined within a third party weather-proof marine grade junction box or terminal strip.
08-03-18, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-18 02:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Understood. Thank you.

You and I may agree, but we could both be wrong.
08-03-18, 02:06 PM
You're welcome.