Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] EV1 Linearization via e7 MFD or ST6002
07-31-18, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-18 12:10 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] EV1 Linearization via e7 MFD or ST6002
I installed a new EV1/ACU100 autopilot and need to do the initial linearization. I am keeping my existing ST6002 control head, but have an e7 MFD. How do I get this initial setup done through either one?

thx

.¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤,
Tom Buscaglia
SV Alera
C&C 37+/40
Vashon Island WA
http://www.sv-alera.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-18, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-18 08:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] EV1 Linearization via e7 MFD or ST6002
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tom,

While is not possible to perform the Dockside Wizard and other autopilot set-up and settings features of an Evolution autopilot via an ST600X/ST700X/ST700X autopilot control head, it is possible for a MFD running the latest LightHouse II software or LightHouse 3 software (v19.03 and v3.6.32 respectively at the time of this response). After ensuring the the the MFD has been updated with the latest LightHouse II software or LightHouse 3 software and that the MFD has been interfaced to the Evolution autopilot via a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, the MFD's Autopilot Controls feature (HOME->SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->EXTERNAL DEVICES->PILOT SET-UP->PILOT CONTROL) should be configured ON. All supported settings, including the Dockside Wizard, Pilot Factory Reset, Response Level, etc. may then be configured via the PILOT SETTINGS option within the Pilot Set-Up dialog (HOME->SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->EXTERNAL DEVICES->PILOT SET-UP).
Find all posts by this user
08-01-18, 03:54 PM
The set up went OK, I guess. The GPS part did a straight line sync. That was it. None of the expected "do a circle" or "figure 8." So long as the MFD is on the Pilot Setup/commissing screen, the ST60 head shows "calibrate" and clearly the pilot is not yet calibrated because it cannot hold a course.

So, I left it on calibrate and did figure 8's for about 20 minutes...no idea of that worked or not.

Any help here is appreciated.

Tom B

Tom Buscaglia
SV Alera
C&C 37+/40
Vashon Island WA
08-02-18, 08:00 AM
Tom,

As indicated within my initial response, it is not possible to perform the Dockside Wizard and other autopilot set-up and settings features of an Evolution autopilot via an ST600X/ST700X/ST700X autopilot control head. After ensuring that the MFD and autopilot components have each been updated with latest available Raymarine product software updates, it would then be recommended that a Pilot Factory Reset (HOME->SET-UP->EXTERNAL DEVICES->PILOT SET-UP->PILOT SETTINGS->COMMISSIONING->PILOT FACTORY RESET) be commanded. Next, execution the Dockside Wizard must be performed via the MFD's user interface (HOME->SET-UP->EXTERNAL DEVICES->PILOT SET-UP->PILOT SETTINGS->COMMISSIONING->DOCKSIDE WIZARD). Unlike prior generations of autopilot course computers, the Evolution autopilots are designed to determine the vessel's deviation table when taken on a short cruise detailed within the FAQ found here. The user will not be prompted to do so, however, the MFD's screen will report progress toward completion of the Detecting Magnetics when viewing the Pilot Setup dialog (HOME->SET-UP->EXTERNAL DEVICES->PILOT SET-UP). Upon completion of Detecting Magnetics, the maximum detected deviation may be viewed within the Deviation field of the Pilot Setup dialog.
08-02-18, 10:54 AM
Thanks Chuck..just a few more questions.

When commissioning via the e7 does the progress bar appear and, if so, where?

Do I leave the e7 in Pilot Setup mode throughout the process of establishing the deviation.

thx

Tom Buscaglia
SV Alera
C&C 37+/40
Vashon Island WA
08-02-18, 12:58 PM
Tom,

The subject of commissioning the Evolution autopilot via the MFD's Autopilot Controls feature is detailed within Chapter 7.11 Commissioning of the LightHouse II Release 19 Operating Instructions. The MFD's Pilot Controls feature will indicate progress towards completion of linearization. It should not be necessary to continuously view the Pilot Set-up dialog when linearizing. As indicated within the Linearization section of Chapter 7.11, a dialog will be displayed upon completion of linearization listing the maximum detected deviation. As indicated, the maximum detected deviation will also be listed within the Pilot Set-up dialog.
08-02-18, 03:08 PM
Well, that is quite helpful. However, instead of showing what the disply on the e7 when discussing linearization it shows the p70 screen. The P70 shows a progress bar that is displayed during the linearization process and a nice "OK" notification with the deviation shown when it has been completed.
http://forum.raymarine.com/attachment.php?aid=2173

Does anything like this happen in the e7 display? If so, where. If not, it should probably be included in the next software update. ;)

I did check via the e7 and the pilot shows a 16 degree deviation. So, if that is that my only remaining question is,

If I do not lock the compass will the deviation continue to be updated as we sail on?

thx

(08-02-18 12:58 PM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  As indicated within the Linearization section of Chapter 7.11, a dialog will be displayed upon completion of linearization listing the maximum detected deviation. As indicated, the maximum detected deviation will also be listed within the Pilot Set-up dialog.

Tom Buscaglia
SV Alera
C&C 37+/40
Vashon Island WA
08-03-18, 08:20 AM
Tom,

Q. If I do not lock the compass will the deviation continue to be updated as we sail on?
A. Yes. BTW - for maximum performance of the autopilot, it is recommended that the maximum deviation sensed for the installation location of the EV-1/EV-2 CCU be less than ten degrees.
08-03-18, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-18 02:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The only thing close to the disk is the ACU. So, I’m pretty sure there is no ferrous interference at the installation location. But, I downloaded a gauss-Tesla app for my phone to check, if I can figure it out. What should I be looking for in terms of interference?

thx

Tom Buscaglia
SV Alera
C&C 37+/40
Vashon Island WA
08-03-18, 02:22 PM
Tom,

It would not be recommended that the ACU be installed within 3' of the EV-1 CCU. Particularly, as the deviation may vary with amount of power output by the ACU in powering the drive unit (power will vary from zero to max) when in use.