Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] E120 Seatalk1 to NMEA 2000 conversion requirements
08-01-18, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-18 02:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] E120 Seatalk1 to NMEA 2000 conversion requirements
Question about network re-configuration associated with software upgrade

I have an E120 chartplotter and a Seatalk1 nework wih the following devices attached:
1) ST60+ Speed
2)ST60 Wind Analog head
3) ST 40 Depth
4) RS125 GPS
5) Unknown device ID = 208D v2.04 (I suspect it is the GPS antenna)
Serial port with AIS tranceiver attached capable of delivering both AIS and GPS NMEA 0183 sentences
Current software version is 5.52
I want to upgrade to the latest software vor the E120 (V 5.69 as far as I know)
It is my understanding that the RS125 will not function under V5.69.
I have the following questions:
1) Could I simply remove the RS125 and use serial GPS data for location (V5.69 software)?
2) Or must I convert the existing Seatlak1 network to Seatalking network using E22158 SeaTalkng Converter Kit ?
3) If I need to use E22158 SeaTalkng Converter Kit, can I use GPS data from the AIS tranceiver over its NMEA 2000 interface?
4) If I want to connect other NMEA 2000 devices can I attach the E22158 SeaTalkng Converter directly to a NMEA 2000 backbone? If so, what cable is neded?
5) When using the E22158 SeaTalkng Converter connected to a NMEA 2000 backbone, how is the Seatalking backbone powered and how is the NMEA 2000 backbone powered?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-18, 02:00 PM
RE: [CA11] E120 Seatalk1 to NMEA 2000 conversion requirements
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bruce,

General comment. Equipment of this vintage must not be interfaced to more than one source of any type of data (GPS, wind, depth, speed through water, heading, etc.) and these products do not support data source selections Accordingly, should the AIS transceiver produce output GPS data via its NMEA 0183 interface with the MFD, then its GPS output must either be switched OFF or the RS125 must be removed from the system.

Q1. I want to upgrade to the latest software vor the E120 (V 5.69 as far as I know). It is my understanding that the RS125 will not function under V5.69.
A1. Your belief that their may be a compatibility issue between a RS125 and E-Series Classic MFD v5.69 software is incorrect. These item are compatible.

Q2) Could I simply remove the RS125 and use serial GPS data for location (V5.69 software)?
A2) See the General comment above.

Q3) Or must I convert the existing Seatlak1 network to Seatalking network using E22158 SeaTalkng Converter Kit ?
A3) No

Q4) If I need to use E22158 SeaTalkng Converter Kit, can I use GPS data from the AIS tranceiver over its NMEA 2000 interface?
A4) Not applicable. E-Series Classic MFD software is not designed to process NMEA 2000 AIS data PGNs.

Q5) If I want to connect other NMEA 2000 devices can I attach the E22158 SeaTalkng Converter directly to a NMEA 2000 backbone? If so, what cable is neded?
A5) Should a NMEA 2000 backbone be installed and should the MFD be interfaced to it, then:
- the MFD should be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and should instead be interfaced as spur to the SeaTalkng backbone
- the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Conveter will need to be installed as a backbone component through which the currently installed ST40/ST60 instruments and RS125 will communicate with the system.

Q6) When using the E22158 SeaTalkng Converter connected to a NMEA 2000 backbone, how is the Seatalking backbone powered and how is the NMEA 2000 backbone powered?
A6. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will essentially be part of the backbone which will be powered via a SeaTalkng Power Cable which has been conneceted to switched 12VDC circuit and will be connected to a spur socket within the backbone which is positioned at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.
08-15-18, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-18 07:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the reply - appreciated.

How can I confirm the model of the currently installed GPS receiver on the seatalk1 network? As noted above there is an unidentified network entity which I assume is the GPS receiver but the model number is not announced.
08-16-18, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-18 07:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Bruce,

Q. How can I confirm the model of the currently installed GPS receiver on the seatalk1 network? As noted above there is an unidentified network entity which I assume is the GPS receiver but the model number is not announced.

A. The E-Series Classic MFDs featured some basic diagnostic features, among them was the ability to list SeaTalk devices (MENU->SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS->EXTERNAL INTERFACES->SEATALK->SEATALK DEVICES). It is recommended that this command be executed a few times as the list of SeaTalk devices may not be complete. This capability requires that the MFD's SeaTalk / Alarm Cable to be interfaced to the SeaTalk bus. The MFD cannot list SeaTalk devices when they have been interfaced to the MFD via its SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 port (via SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter). Otherwise, it would be necessary to locate the GPS sensor and identify it via its upper shell or better yet via the product ID / serial number label attached to the sensor's lower shell. Searching the Internet for product ID (ex. E32042, etc.) and "Raymarine" in as search key words is an easy way to determine the product's name.
08-18-18, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-18 08:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I've used the SEATALK DEVICES command multiple times - always get the same list and the GPS receiver never shows up. I'm attaching pctur of the GPS receiver - the name data in the little round circle on top is not legible but perhaps you can recognize it (looks like an RC120 based on literature I can find). It is connected to the Seatalk bus using a small junction box (Rectangular 3x2x1 box that doesn't seem to be a Raymarine product - no Raymarine label or part number.) Some additional questions:
1) Can you ID the device based on the picture?
2) Can you ID the "unidentified device based on its bus ID?
3) Assuming this is an RC120 (or what ever product you can ID) does the preceding discussion regarding software upgrade apply? (IE - can I upgrade to the latest version of software without having to reconfigure the network?)

Thanks for your patience.
08-20-18, 08:57 AM
Q1. I've used the SEATALK DEVICES command multiple times - always get the same list and the GPS receiver never shows up. I'm attaching pctur of the GPS receiver - the name data in the little round circle on top is not legible but perhaps you can recognize it (looks like an RC120 based on literature I can find). It is connected to the Seatalk bus using a small junction box (Rectangular 3x2x1 box that doesn't seem to be a Raymarine product - no Raymarine label or part number.)
A1. If the junction box which you have referenced simply encloses a terminal strip, then the GPS sensor must be a GPS Sensor supporting SeaTalk communications protocol. However, if the junction box which you have referenced encloses a micro processor board, then the communications protocol supported by the GPS sensor would correspond to the type of communications terminals which the GPS sensors leads have been connected.

Q1) Can you ID the device based on the picture?
A1. Negative.

Q2) Can you ID the "unidentified device based on its bus ID?
A2. If not listed within the SeaTalk Devices list, then the only remaining means of identification would be to examine the decal on the lower shell (underside) of the GPS sensor.

Q3) Assuming this is an RC120 (or what ever product you can ID) does the preceding discussion regarding software upgrade apply? (IE - can I upgrade to the latest version of software without having to reconfigure the network?)
A3) Should the GPS sensor support SeaTalk communications, then no configuration changes all would need to be performed following the software update to support continued GPS communications. However, should the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface be wired to an AIS transceiver, then the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port must be configured to "AIS 38400". Should the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface not be wired to an AIS transceiver, then the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port may be configured to "NMEA 4800".
08-20-18, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-18 07:50 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The junction box has only a terminal strip.

The Seatalk devices list has a line with a device ID but no NAME
5) Unknown device ID = 208D v2.04 (I suspect it is the GPS antenna)

Would this be consistent with an RC120 or other Raymarine GPS receiver - If not, is there ANY association between the ID and a device type or class?

Based on the discussion so far, I think I can conclude that the device is a Seatalk device - TRUE? If so, the software uorae should work without any network reconfiguration -(likely)TRUE ??

Thanks for your patience, but I really don't want to disable the system with the software upgrade.
08-21-18, 07:56 AM
Bruce,

Q1. The Seatalk devices list has a line with a device ID but no NAME
5) Unknown device ID = 208D v2.04 (I suspect it is the GPS antenna). Would this be consistent with an RC120 or other Raymarine GPS receiver - If not, is there ANY association between the ID and a device type or class?
A1. Unfortunately, I cannot identify the device via the product's hexadecimal ID. The only way to be certain as to what the device is would be to temporarily disconnect it from the SeaTalk bus (disconnect the sensor's SeaTalk data lead (yellow) for the terminal strip). Should the Unknown device ID = 208D v2.04 no longer be listed within the SeaTalk devices list, then you can safely assume that Unknown device ID = 208D is your GPS sensor.

Q2. Based on the discussion so far, I think I can conclude that the device is a Seatalk device - TRUE?
A2. Correct.

A3. If so, the software uorae should work without any network reconfiguration -(likely)TRUE ??
A3. Correct.
08-21-18, 08:41 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-18 08:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks - I'll try it and let you know.
08-21-18, 08:48 AM
You're welcome.