Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[CA] [CA11] c classic to e classic
08-22-18, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-18 03:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] c classic to e classic
I have a set of c classic mfd's and acquired a couple of e classics. it looks as if my gps antenna(gps 125) is coming to the c classic through the seatalk1 port. Is there a cable available or how do I splice a cable to get from the seatalk1 to the round 5 prong seatalk2 on my e classic.

Thanks,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-18, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-18 03:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] c classic to e classic
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Matt,

Please see the chart below addressing how a Raystar 125 GPS Sensor may be interfaced to the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable of an E-Series Classic MFD.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2234]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-22-18, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Chuck!

I am going to use a d244 junction box to connect to my new spliced wire. If I understand correctly I need to the three seatalk wires and connect yellow to yellow, bare to black, and do nothing with the red wire out of the seatalk cable. Attach those to the seatalk/alarm cable and then to port on the E Classic. Also if I understand correctly there is no official Raymarine cable that accomplishes this?

Thanks again!!
08-23-18, 08:25 AM
Matt,

Q1. I am going to use a d244 junction box to connect to my new spliced wire.
A1. Due to the relatively low power output of the SeaTalk port of the C/E-Series Classic MFDs, it was later made a best practice to not power SeaTalk devices via the MFD's SeaTalk port. Accordingly, the red SeaTalk lead of the SeaTalk / SeaTalk/Alarm Cable which would be interfaced to the MFD's SeaTalk port is not to be used.

The R55006 would typically be recommended for this application as it is a junction box having a terminal strip inside to support making the required connections and a pre-wired power cable which in turn may be connected to a switched 12VDC power circuit.

Neither the MFD's SeaTalk/Alarm Cable, nor the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor's Cable feature press-fit 3-pin plugs. The D244 is a Junction Block having three sockets to accommodate up to three SeaTalk cables having press-fit 3-pin plugs. Should you choose to go with a D244, then it would be necessary to splice a SeaTalk cable having a press-fit 3-pin plug to the MFD's SeaTalk/Alarm Cable and you would additionally need to connect a second SeaTalk cable having a press-fit 3-pin plug to a switched 12VDC power circuit.

Q2. If I understand correctly I need to the three seatalk wires and connect yellow to yellow, bare to black, and do nothing with the red wire out of the seatalk cable. Attach those to the seatalk/alarm cable and then to port on the E Classic.
A2. The Raystar 125 GPS Sensor has the leads specified within the chart provided within my initial response. All leads must be interfaced as specified above. The response to Q1 addresses the scenario in which the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor's cable had been spliced to a SeaTalk cable having a press-fit 3-pin plug.

Q3. Also if I understand correctly there is no official Raymarine cable that accomplishes this?
A3. Correct.