Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Hardware requirements for upcoming LH3 advanced sailing software
09-13-18, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-18 03:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Brick [DG11] Hardware requirements for upcoming LH3 advanced sailing software
In a separate thread I was asking a few questions about the ITC-5, heading sensors, i70s and possibly an AXIOM7 that I plan to aquire specificaly to display, log and review race sailing performance.

I was reading accross the forum about informations concerning LH3 AST which features apparently will include:
Advanced sailing tools
-Laylines and polars
-Race course quick entry
-Race timers and start line assistant

Looking forward to see all that coming I will be preparing the boat over winter time and as such would like to ask some information:

Q1: What hardware (sensors, nmea messages) will be required to make use of the AST during the race (minimal, full)?
Currently I am using raceQS watchapp and although it is only fed with very limited information (GPS) it can provide wind lifts on the watch and the phone app also logs heel info and somehow is able to even "estimate" leeway based on some model and the phone accelerometer, compass and GPS.
Will the AST be able to compute and display all that information in real time and what sensors will be needed (is heel angle measurement usefull for instance)?
(I understand from the faq below that a heading compass is mendatory)
http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=987

Q2: I don't really have a good polar plot for my sailboat and I never was able to make one since I had no digital windvane/speed nor logger installed.
I suppose that with a few good nmea logs, signal processing skills and some time to smooth the data I'd be able to extract some preliminary curves and refine on them.
Any further hint except asking the boat maker? Would a polar be a prerequist to operate the AST?
Will I be able to log, save and export via wifi all the sensors nmea messages on the AXIOM7?

Thank you in advance for your time and answers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-18, 04:00 AM
RE: [DG11] Hardware requirements for upcoming LH3 advanced sailing software
Hi Sailshade,

Thank you for your feedback,

I hope you got the answers you needed regarding the itc-5 and AXIOM. The sailing features will require AXIOM, GPS, Compass, Apparent Wind, Compass (the Raymarine EV1 compass will also generate acceleration and heel data too), Speed through the water as a minimum to be able to calculate the necessary data. You will also need an i70 display to be able to calibrate the transducers connected through the itc-5

Heel information is not used at this time.

The Boat builder is likely best placed to supply polars - but in time these can be manually derived from the data collected.

The AST will operate realtime from data collected and so polars are not a prerequisite.

The AXIOM will output basic non calculated data via NMEA, which could then be recorded on some external device.

regards
Derek
09-19-18, 05:58 AM
Thank you for your answer Derek,

Does it imply that the AXIOM or LH3 will not provide logging of all NMEA2000 messages in the device like LH2 did, I read that it was a very desirable feature in another thread....(and I must agree)

If this feature might/could be added, in the future, would it be possible to export or download the log by wifi to a portable device rather than only display it on screen?
And would it be in principle possible to log a couple of hours continously?

Should I add a feature suggestion or is it already logged in your system?

Thank you in advance.
09-19-18, 06:47 AM
Hi Sailshade,

The list of PGNs from the AXIOM is in the back of the handbook click here Appendix B

You can add a feature request in for this capability to be assess by the development team.

Regards
Derek
09-20-18, 05:47 AM
Dear Derek,

Thank you for your reply.
The box file link you procided unfortunately doesn t work for me.
Anyway my question about logging the available sailing data wasn t limited to the
AXIOM PGNs.

I have logged a request in the features request forum directory.

Best Regards
09-20-18, 06:10 AM
Hi sailshade,

Please try this link

click here

thanks
Derek
09-20-18, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-20-18 06:51 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you! the new link does work.
09-20-18, 06:52 AM
Hi Sailshade,

you're welcome

Derek