Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG] EV-200 Rudder Indicator
09-17-18, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-18 04:19 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG] EV-200 Rudder Indicator
I have an EV-200 autopilot, but no rudder position transducer. The rudder indicator at the top of the display consistently reads to port of where the rudders are actually positioned. For instance, when the boat is tracking straight, the rudder indicator reads about 10 degrees to port. Would this inaccuracy be a combination of incorrect Rudder Limit and Hard Over Time settings (which I can tweak), or is there something else I need to address?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-18, 04:25 AM
RE: [DG] EV-200 Rudder Indicator
Hi blong001

The EV200 system can operate on a hydraulic pilot without a rudder reference unit and so when in STANDBY mode, there will be no rudder angle display, but in AUTO a virtual rudder position is generated. There are several reasons for the inaccuracy, could be the rudder position is drifting over time and not being picked up or could be the initial application of standing helm to maintain a straight course. it could also be due to the initial set up where the actual movement of the rudder is unequal between port and starboard end stops. Hard over time settings have no impact on this.

If fitting a rudder reference unit is not an option, you can try to correct by repeating the dockside wizard, but making sure the angle to port is the same as the angle to starboard.
Thanks
Derek
09-18-18, 02:12 PM
Thanks so much for the reply Derek. You referred to the need to have the rudder centered when going through the Dockside Wizard. I went back and reviewed the instructions and I think I might have missed that point initially. Really appreciate you calling that out.

Just one other question...if I run the Dockside Wizard again, does it mean I will need to go through the sea trial process again also?
09-19-18, 06:28 AM
Hi blong001

Yes, if you do the Dockside again, then always best to do the sea trial too.

best regards
Derek