Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Yamaha to Axiom Pro
09-17-18, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-18 10:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Yamaha to Axiom Pro
objective:
I would like to view the NMEA 2000 data that is generated by my Yamaha f225 engines on my Axiom pro units. My main interest is fuel consumption data from the ECU. Assuming everything works as expected I will purchase another axiom dedicated to engine data display and eliminate my Yamaha gauges.

I have confirmed that these engines have the 2 wire white and blue data plug under the cowling, note there is not an existing CL bus under the dash. It is my understanding that various vendors (Lowrance and Ray included) make adapters for this plug. Lowrance is Yamaha to NMEA 2000 and Ray is Yamaha to Seatalkng.

Q1
Since the Lowrance is Yamaha to NMEA 2000 could I just create a simple NMEA network and connect a drop to the NMEA port on the back of one of the Axiom pro units. If the Axiom reads and displays NMEA 2000 why would this not work?

Q2
I expect you will suggest using the Raymarine Yamaha Link Cable (E70242) along with the ECI 100 which is fine but I would like to know what the ECI does. In my scenario it provides 1 way communication to the network from the engines. I can't think of a situation where my MFD would send messages back to the engine, and if it did there is nothing listening on the other end to act on those instructions. I can see the ECI 100 being useful in a more complicated fly by wire throttle/ steering situation but not simple outboard twins.

Q3
Assuming I do need the E70242 and the ECI 100 what does that diagram look like for a 2 engine application? Do I need an ECI 100 for each engine or do I connect the e70242 pair and the eci 100 to a 5 port network hub?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-18, 10:21 AM
RE: [CA11] Yamaha to Axiom Pro
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Scott,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the only supported method of interfacing engine systems to Raymarine MFDs running LightHouse II or LightHouse 3 software. As indicated therein, an engine gateway, in this case an ECI-100, will be interfaced to a Yamaha Command Link Bus, and the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone for the marine electronics. It would be recommended that Yamaha be contacted for a list of parts required construct a small Command Link backbone (may simply require a Yamaha Command-Link or Command-Link Plus Hub) to connect your engines and the ECI-100 to. For more information on the Yamaha specific application of the ECI-100, please click here and then click on the Yamaha Engine Connection tab within the displayed ECI-100 Connectivity web page.
09-29-18, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-18 04:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thumbs Down RE: [CA11] Yamaha to Axiom Pro
Thanks,

Assuming I get the networking sorted out I would link to use a small Ray MFD to replace the current gauges. I was thinking a basic Axiom 7. Is it possible to configure this or a different model mfd to start upon sensing voltage vs. having to slide the power on each time?
I would like to power the unit from the ignition switch.

Thanks
09-30-18, 04:09 AM
Scott,

Yes ... please click here to view a FAQ addressing the subject of "last power state memory feature".
10-08-18, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-18 08:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

I spoke with tech support and it was determined that the problem is likely an "instance" issue in the engines. I will explore options with Yamaha and come back here if needed.

thanks
10-10-18, 08:29 AM
Scott,

Noted. Should the problem persist, then please respond with the version of software which is presently installed within the MFD.
10-14-18, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-18 09:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

My problem persists. I am able to successfully identify both engines individually. After the identification process when I start the port engine data displays. After I start the starboard engine data stops on the port engine but continues on the starboard.

When I start the starboard engine first, data displays, when I start the port engine no data displays. Data on starboard continues to display.

Then I set up the boat as if there were 3 engines. I identified port engine, skipped center engine and identified starboard engine. In this configuration the mfd displays the port engine in the center position and the starboard in the starboard position. Live data displays for both the port and starboard engines.

Version 3.7 latest public release.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

thanks
10-15-18, 10:21 AM
Scott,

At this point, I would recommend that the ECI-100's software be reset. This is effectively accomplished by forcing the latest version of ECI-100 software to be installed into the ECI-100 again. To do so, extract the ray_Adapters_20171110.upgrade.iso alone from the downloaded LightHouse 3 v3.7.x compressed folder into the root level directory of a microSD memory card. Switch OFF the system's Data Master MFD, insert this microSD memory card into the MFD's memory card reader, and the switch the MFD ON.

Back up the Data Master MFD's data to a microSD memory card and then perform a Factory Reset. After the system re-boots and you have reconfigured the MFD with units and vessel detail, execute the Identify Engines feature again.
10-16-18, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-16-18 12:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I did as you suggested and the result was the same. Upon Keying on the starboard engine, data stops displaying for the port engine.

What should I try next?
10-16-18, 12:26 PM
Scott,

Should you have updated the ECI-100 with v1.20 software, then it would be recommended that the ECI-100 be reset again by re-installing its software. After doing so, it would then be recommended that the engines be reset per procedures specified by Yamaha. After doing so, engine system within a multi-engine vessel would typically establish Instance IDs for each engine by starting the engines in a manner that the port most engine was started first, followed by the next engine to starboard, followed by the next engine to starboard, and so on. After doing so, then the engines would be switched OFF and the LightHouse 3 Identify engines feature would then be executed to permit the ECI-100 to identify the vessel's engines.