Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Can I connect two 5 way connectors (A06031) using a spur cable?
09-19-18, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-18 02:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Can I connect two 5 way connectors (A06031) using a spur cable?
I just bought a complete system for my sailboat and I'm in the process of installing it.

(es75 + ev200 AP+ i70s system pack)

I planned the connections and cables necessary but was surprised by the fact that the i70s display and the autopilot display only have ONE conection each. I always seem this type of displays with two conections to be dayse chained.

Long story short. I had to use one 5 way connector on the cockpit and another 5 way connector on the engine room. But I only have one SPUR cable left, long enough, to connect them.

Is this acceptable? Can I connect two 5 way connectors using only a spur cable?

I'm using the 3 white ports on the cockpit 5 way connector, 2 to the displays, one going down below. The 2 blue ports are plugged with terminators.

On the bellow deck 5 way connector I have all the ports being used.

I know the quick answer is go buy a backbone cable, but this things don't come by easy over here.

Thanks a lot!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-18, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-18 02:23 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Can I connect two 5 way connectors (A06031) using a spur cable?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum rafaelnfernandes,

Q1. I planned the connections and cables necessary but was surprised by the fact that the i70s display and the autopilot display only have ONE conection each. I always seem this type of displays with two conections to be dayse chained.
A1. Unlike SeaTalkng networking protocol which had permitted up to three devices to be daisy chained within a single spur (maximum total spur length = 6m), the NMEA 2000 networking protocol permits only one device per spur. As Raymarine is seeking NMEA 2000 Certification for its products, the products which you have identified along with all future Raymarine product designs having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface have and will feature one spur socket instead of two spur sockets. This will thereby prevent such daisy chains.

Q2. Can I connect two 5 way connectors using only a spur cable?
A2. Negative. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
09-19-18, 02:56 PM
Thanks a lot Chuck

It's very clear now.
09-19-18, 04:16 PM
You're welcome.