Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG] ST2000+ lead screw bearings question.
09-20-18, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-18 06:26 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG] ST2000+ lead screw bearings question.
Can someone please tell me how many 5/64" ball bearings are used in the drive nut/lead screw assembly? I couldn't find any info pertaining to this in the service manual.

During the disassembly process i needlessly removed the lead screw from the ram tube, allowing a cascade of tiny ball bearings to spill out, hence my question. I plan to replace the original steel ones with ceramics.

The pilot failed when the lead screw ball bearing lost it's metal bearing shield which chewed out the retaining lip in the plastic bearing holder, allowing the bearing to slip out towards the ram tube, giving the lead screw almost an inch of end play, and rendering the pilot useless.

I've modified the bearing holder so that the new bearing is now sandwiched between the existing metal plate and a second plate that I added to the other side of the bearing holder, with the two plates bolted together. A plastic washer takes up the space left by the destroyed lip to eliminate end play.

Thanks for any help offered!

Peter
http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-18, 06:36 AM
RE: [DG] ST2000+ lead screw bearings question.
Hi prjacobs

There are 44 ball bearings in the recirculating assembly

regards

Derek
09-21-18, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-18 08:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Derek ... exactly what I need to know!
Peter.

Peter
http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
09-24-18, 09:51 AM
You're welcome.