Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] cpt070 transducer cable
09-22-18, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-18 12:09 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
cpt070 transducer cable
I just purchased a cpt-70 transducer to use with my dragonfly5
so have some questions:

- is it possible to shorten the electrical cable as for my 12ft boat it is WAY over length and cumbersome, if so what is the best way to do the wire splices - crimp connectors or solder?

- also, I was VERY disappointed the cpt-70 did not come with a streamlined nose fairing block like shown for the cpt-80. instead it is a big,blunt bulbous thing that will cause a lot of drag on my little boat. it would really be helpful if raymarine would give good pictures of what comes with their transducers so a buyer can make proper decisions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-18, 12:19 AM
RE: cpt070 transducer cable
Hello mtnbowhunter,

We strongly advise never cutting/joining/shortening fishfinder transducer cables. There's a high likelihood of spoiling the sounder's performance due to signal losses across the join and of interference picked up or emitted on the unshielded section, and most importantly there are high voltages, even on a little sounder like Dragonfly. Most sounders ping at several hundred volts peak-to-peak. We always suggest just securing the cable out of the way, not attempting to shorten it.

I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with the shape of the transducer. That rounded from looks less hydrodynamic but in fact because they're the same height and width, the actual drag of the two transducers will be very similar. We originally supplied the bronze one without the high-speed fairing but started to because of complaints of poor performance of the sounder at speed. The high-speed fairing of the bronze transducer actually isn't there to reduce drag but just to avoid cavitation and aeration spoiling the sounder image.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply