Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST60+, seatalk1, seatalk NG, ray55e, A70D and ST2000+
09-26-18, 09:03 AM
RE: [CA11] ST60+, seatalk1, seatalk NG, ray55e, A70D and ST2000+
Dave,

The updated diagram is missing SeaTalkng power insertion to the backbone (ST-STng Converter). The diagram should be modified to included a SeaTalkng Power Cable connected to one of the two spur sockets of the ST-STng Converter. This cable should be connected to a switched 12VDC power circuit.

Q1. OK, so probably better to connect the speed transducer direct to the ST60+ Speed instrument, so that I can calibrate it. Assume system functionality will be the same but I'll just need a longer cable for the speed transducer?
A1. Negative. Speed through water sensors feature non-linear scaling. Accordingly, reported speed through water will be most accurate when the vessel is operating at the speed(s) that the instrument was calibrated. Unlike the iTC-5/i70S MFID combination which support up to five speed through water calibration points permitting speed to be accurate across a greater range of boat speeds, the ST40/ST60/ST60+/i50 speed sensing sensing instruments support only a single calibration point.

Q2b. If I am reading your reply correctly, my system will be able to use ST2000+ heading as the heading data for GWD calculation, as long as the ST2000+ is connected to its socket (which is wired in to the seatalk 1 bus). Have I understood that correctly?
A2b. Yes.

Q2c. This heading data will be available even when the ST2000+ is not in use. For example, if I do not have the tiller pilot mounted on deck but, say, I put it in a compass suitable location down below but still connected to the socket and in stand-by mode. Is that correct? Does it matter how the ST20000+ is oriented?
A2c. This would indeed be possible. My expectation is the the heading reported will not be nearly as accurate as it would be for a system featuring a dedicated heading sensor. Understandably, other data items, specifically data items which are calculated from heading, may be affected as well. The calculated data items using heading data will only be as accurate as the heading supplied to the system.

Q6. That is, if I connect the A70D on the Seatalk NG converter spur, then it will be connected to the rest of the system ok. Correct?
A6. Correct.

Q7. OK, then I will avoid the ITC-5 (and remove the transducer pod from the sytem too, as above). All transducers will be connected directly to their dedicated ST60+ instruments and I will be able to calibrate them and set their alarms. Correct?
A7. If an iTC-5 and i70S MFID are not installed onboard, then the calibration and alarms must be configured by the instruments that the transducers have been directly connected to.

Q9. I will have depth display on the ST60+ so that is ok for navigation. I suppose I could display depth on the ST60+ Graphic too but it will be right next to the Depth display anyway, so not much benefit.
Would it be possible to display depth data on the A70D if I connect the depth instrument to the seatalk 1 bus (assuming A70D and seatalk 1 bus are both connected to the seatalk 1 to seatalk NG Converter)?
A9. Yes ... as numerical data item. Doing so would not support the MFD's fishfinder feature.

Q10. Just to clarify. I see I have all the inputs for set and drift calculation but is there anything in the system that will automatically do the calculation and display it in real time? For example, can it be displayed on the ST60+ Graphic display?
A10. Supplying the required data items to the system would support displaying set and drift data on any device within the system which is capable of displaying these data items.

Q16. OK, I do have the adapter, so I just need to buy a navionics card to put in it?
A16. The MFD must also be operating with the latest available Raymarine product software update as well. The latest versions of software and installation instructions for all products which may be updated by an end user are posted on Raymarine's web site.

Q17. Is it possible to connect the ST2000+ to a white or yellow Seatalk NG Spur connection on the converter (using the same wore colour/terminal combinations as for ST1)?
A17. Negative. The ST2000+ must be interfaced as is presently shown within your diagram.

Q18. Is it necessary to buy a preloaded micro SD chart card? Or can I download the charts and copy to card myself?
A19. The A-Series Classic MFDs are exclusively designed to support Navionics Gold (now Navionics+), Platinum (not Platinum Plus), and HotMaps cartography. All of these support Freshest Data update subscriptions. These products are purchased from an authorized Navionics dealer.

Q19A. With the equipment on my system, is it possible to install software updates (for any of the ST60+ instruments, A70D, ray55e and/or ST2000+)?
A19A. As indicated above, The latest versions of software and installation instructions for all products which may be updated by an end user are posted on Raymarine's web site. Of the devices listed, an owner would only be capable of updating the software within the MFD and ST-STng Converter. No software updates were available or performed for ST40/ST60/ST60+ instruments an the ST2000+a. Ray55/Ray55e VHF radios cannot be updated end users and if they have older software, then they may be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to have its software updated.

Q19B. Could you please list the latest software version for each item, so I can check my gear when I finally get it powered up?
A19B: A70D: v1.24; ST-STng Converter: v2.03; Ray55E: v2.01.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] ST60+, seatalk1, seatalk NG, ray55e, A70D and ST2000+ - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-26-18 09:03 AM