Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST60+, seatalk1, seatalk NG, ray55e, A70D and ST2000+
04-12-19, 11:56 PM
RE: [CA11] ST60+, seatalk1, seatalk NG, ray55e, A70D and ST2000+
Hi Chuck,
thank you very much for taking the time to research all those compasses.
I really appreciate it, this is great support considering that these are third party devices and not really Raymarine's problem!
It gives great peace of mind to know that I won't end up buying something that won't work with my Raymarine gear.

Thanks for confirming that the "Digital Yacht HSC100 High Performance Fluxgate Sensor" meets requirements and can be interfaced to one of the MFD's NMEA 0183 input ports.

A few more final questions. Sorry to be pedantic but I'd like to have everything clear before I commit to a purchase.

Q1. To clarify, when you mention "Stabilized" heading sensors, does this mean they need a gyro? Or is this just a characteristic of the instrument itself or its data output?

Q2A. I have attached the manual for the Autonnic Compass - it appears to be very similar to the HSC100, possibly the same basic item with a different branding.
Could you please let me know if the Autonnic NMEA 0183 compass 5023/5024 is suitable?
Q2B. If the Autonnic Compass also had a Rate of Turn NMEA output would this cause any problems with getting heading data out of it? It might be a useful option to have if I ever add an AIS Transceiver.

Q3A. I will have the Ray55E VHF providing distress position data to the A70D on one NMEA IN port (White and Green). Could the compass be interfaced to the A70D's other NMEA IN port (Orange/White and Orange/Green)?
Q3B. Will the A70D output heading data to the STNG network and thence to the ST1 bus?

Q4A. Alternatively, could I connect the compass to one of the ST 60+ Graphic Display's NMEA IN ports? (The manual says HDG is not supported on NMEA IN, just double checking).
Q4B If HDG can be received, will the ST60+ Graphic Display output heading data to the ST1 bus and thence to the STNG Network?

Q5. Is there any advantage in terms of performance and/or accuracy to either of the above options 3 and 4?

I am thinking of fitting a three way switch to swap the heading data source between the Compass and the Autopilot.

By way of context, I do not normally use the autopilot to steer the boat but I have to set it up on deck to provide heading data for navigation, set/drift and TWD calculation.
It would be more convenient to have a stand alone source of heading data so that I do not need to set up the tiller pilot to provide heading data when I'm not using it to steer the boat.

My intention would be to wire the switch to operate in two positions:
Position 1: Connect compass's +ve NMEA OUT wire and disconnect the Autopilot Yellow ST1 wire (when the Compass is in use as the heading data source).
Position 2: connect the Autopilot Yellow ST1 wire and disconnect the Compass's positive NMEA OUT wire whenever the Autopilot is plugged in and in use (to enable track and wind modes).

The switch will be set up so that only one heading data source can be connected at any time.
Q6A. Do you see any problems with this arrangement (apart form possible differences in the actual heading output)?
Q6B. With the tiller pilot disconnected from the network (Position 1), I assume I could still use the tiller pilot to steer the boat but it would not get Navigation or Wind data, so could only operate in Compass steering mode (and might have a different heading to the other compass). True?

Q7. Are there any specific Serial settings (Baud rate, data bits, stop bit, parity)that the ST60+ and A70D will or will not work with?

Thanks again for the great support.

regards
Dave

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Autonnic 5023 5024 Manual.pdf (Size: 215.27 KB / Downloads: 1069)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] ST60+, seatalk1, seatalk NG, ray55e, A70D and ST2000+ - dave.squared@hotmail.com - 04-12-19 11:56 PM