Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Use Raymic Extension or HSB as SeatalkNG Cable?
09-28-18, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-18 10:31 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Use Raymic Extension or HSB as SeatalkNG Cable?
I have a dual-helm boat that has a Ray260 installed near the lower helm with an extension going to a RayMic on the flybridge. It previously had 2 RL80Cs installed, with a HSB running between them.

I am installing a c125 on the flybridge and an a78 at the lower helm. I'd like to avoid running another cable if possible, but would like them networked so the a78 can get radar and chart data from the c125. I am willing to sacrifice the RayMic at lower helm in favor of my portable VHF, since I only use that helm about 10% of the time max.

Is there any way I can repurpose the HSB or RayMic cables to network the c125/a78, either through adapters or splicing? Or do I have to run a SeaTalk ng cable between them?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-18, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-18 10:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Use Raymic Extension or HSB as SeatalkNG Cable?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum cdiltz,

Q1. Is there any way I can repurpose the HSB or RayMic cables to network the c125/a78, either through adapters or splicing?
A1. Negative

Q2. Or do I have to run a SeaTalk ng cable between them?
A2. Negative. The Ethernet Network (RayNet) sockets of the two MFDs would be linked to one another via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.
09-28-18, 05:06 PM
Thank you for the quick reply. A related question: the Ray260 has the AIS receiver option. Can I connect that to the a78 at the lower helm station, and will AIS data appear on the c125 on the flybridge? Or does everything need to go to the c125 which will have the map card and be connected to the radar antenna/tridata (via Seatalk adapter)/autopilot?
09-28-18, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-18 08:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck.
How do I interface in the Ray260 so I can see AIS data on the MFDs and transmit GPS data using DSC?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  CRAB Shack Network Diagram.pdf (Size: 337.95 KB / Downloads: 261)
10-01-18, 08:38 AM
cdiltz13,

The Ray260 will be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Doing so will supply GPS data to the Ray260 as well permit the Ray260 w/AIS option to provide AIS data to the Raymarine system. The MFDs will be interfaced to one another via either via an Ethernet network to support sharing of all system data and resources (except analog NTSC/PAL video ... and even this may be accomplished by encoding the analog video and interfacing the encoder to the system's Ethernet network). The MFDs will be interfaced to one another or to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.