Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Do I need autopilot and wind displays?
09-29-18, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-18 10:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Do I need autopilot and wind displays?
Hello,
I'm just installed an Axiom 7, and ES78
I have autopilot motor from an older S3 computer. The motor still works wekk but the computer failed as well as all other instruments due to a lightning strike.
I want to connect a VHF with built in AIS, Wind transducer and autopilot all through Nema 2000 network.

My questions are:
1. What VHF with AIS is most compatible
2. Do I need a wind display or will the MFDs work without the stand alone wind display?
3. If I buy the autopilot computer will it work directly with the MFD I have or do I also need a stand alone autopilot display?
4. Will a less expensive camera work with the system or only the raymarine camera?

Its going on a Lagoon 380.
Thanks for the help
Tim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-18, 11:05 AM
RE: [CA11] Do I need autopilot and wind displays?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tim,

Q1. What VHF with AIS is most compatible
A1. If seeking a VHF radio / AIS receiver, then the Ray70 VHF Radio w/AIS receiver option or Ray260 VHF Radio w/AIS receiver option would be recommended. For those seeking Class B AIS transceiver capabilities, an AIS700 Class B AIS Transceiver would be recommended. For those seeking a modular VHF radio, then the Ray260 VHF Radio w/o AIS receiver option would be recommended. For those not seeking a modular VHF radio, but seeking loudhailer capability, then a Ray70 VHF Radio / Loud Hailer would be recommended. For those not seeking a modular VHF radio, not seeking loudhailer capability, but seeking a second station capability then a Ray60 VHF Radio would typically be recommended.

Q2. Do I need a wind display or will the MFDs work without the stand alone wind display?
A2. Raymarine MFDs are not designed to calibrate wind transducers. It will indeed be necessary to install an i60 Wind Instrument or i70S MFID w/iTC-5 along with the wind transducer.

Q3. If I buy the autopilot computer will it work directly with the MFD I have or do I also need a stand alone autopilot display?
A3. Although generally considered to be a best installation practice to install and autopilot control head, Evolution autopilots do not require an autopilot control head (unless seeking to sail to wind) when interfaced to a MFD running the latest available LightHouse 3 or LightHouse II software.

Q4. Will a less expensive camera work with the system or only the raymarine camera?
A4. Possibly. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply