Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] A65 Compatability
09-29-18, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-18 10:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] A65 Compatability
Hi, I currently have a RC530 Plus plotter with RS125 gps linked into my 230e VHF/Depth/Speed/Flux gate compass/High speed heading using the sea talk connection...(I've not connected the NEMA 0183 as I don't have an autopilot yet)
I'm looking at upgrading my plotter to a newer Raymarine A65 but notice that this unit only has a NEMA input...
Am I correct in thinking that I could connect this to the smart heading units NEMA output and receive depth/speed etc through this.

Kind Regards

TIm
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-18, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-18 10:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] A65 Compatability
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tim,

Please note that Raymarine has produced to products having very similar product name ... these being only differentiated by the case or the letter used in the product's name. These are the recently retired a65 MFD

[Image: raymarine-a65-5.7inch-touchscreen-mfd-me...rt_big.jpg]

and the long retired A65 Chartplotter.

[Image: 61ZD5QD2mgL.gif]

Which of these products are you referring to?
10-02-18, 07:03 AM
Hi Chuck...its the lower unit of the two pictures..

Thanks in advance

Tim
10-02-18, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-18 09:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tim,

Q1. Am I correct in thinking that I could connect this to the smart heading units NEMA output and receive depth/speed etc through this?
A1. Negative. The Pathfinder Smart Heading System (SHS) was not designed to function as a SeaTalk to NMEA 0183 data bridging device. Back in the day, this function was undertaken by the hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Displays, some of the older autopilot course computers, and the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface module. Unfortunately, the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module was discontinued many years ago. While it may be possible to interface the A65 to the autopilot's NMEA 0183 interface, doing so in a manner which would support bidirectional communications would likely result in an installation which caused looping of data within the system. The latter may be avoided through proper configuration of the NMEA 0183 sentences transmitted by the chartplotter as well as installation of a programmable NMEA 0183 multiplexer (configured to only pass NMEA 0183 sentences including depth, speed, wind, water temp, and heading data) between the NMEA 0183 output port of the autopilot and the NMEA 0183 input port of the chartplotter. An alternative solution would be to install a third party SeaTalk to NMEA 0183 data bridging device such as the Brookhouse Multiplexer w/SeaTalk option.

All of this said, please click here to view a related FAQ. The money spent in such a multiplexer may be better spent on purchasing a currently manufactured MFD (ex. Axiom 7) and a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Parts and service are no longer available for the A60/A65 Chartplotters and Chartplotter/Fishinfinders, and linearization and alignment of the SHS are not supported by the A60/A65 Chartplotters and Chartplotter/Fishinfinders.
10-02-18, 03:21 PM
Thanks for your time Chuck...... Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to completely re-fit my boats electronics package....
Could you recommend a newer raymarine plotter that would be compatible with my current system..

Kind Regards

Tim
10-02-18, 03:44 PM
Tim,

I wasn't suggesting that the entire system be updated, but to consider a currently supported chartplotting product over the long retired A65 Chartplotter. Should you provide a list of the vessel's currently installed marine electronics devices (makes and models) then I may be able to identify whether and how a currently manufactured MFD may adapted for use with your vessel's marine electronics system.
10-03-18, 01:25 AM
Thanks Chuck... Here's whats currently fitted to my boat....

Raymarine Smart Heading 2
Raymarine Fluxgate Compass
Raymarine Tri-data st60
Raymarine Wind st60
Raymarine 230E Vhf
Raymarine RC530 Plus Chartplotter
Raymarine/Raystar RS125 Gps Unit

Everything is currently connected on Seatalk 1, Although I can connect the smart heading system to the chartplotter on Nema0183. However as I've yet to fit an autopilot I didn't do this... (Should it be connected?)

Thanks for your time

Kind Regards

Tim
10-03-18, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-18 08:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tim,

I'm a bit unclear about your last comments regarding an autopilot. Has an autopilot been installed onoboard? If so, what make / model of autopilot is installed? If no autopilot has been installed, but one is being considered, please specify the make/model of autopilot being considered.
10-03-18, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-18 01:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck, There is no Auto pilot installed... I did initially think of installing one, But I'm mainly using the boat for racing now...

Regards

TIm
10-03-18, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-18 02:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tim,

It would recommend that the value priced Axiom 7 MFD be considered for this application such as this. Each of the items which you have listed may be adapted for use with this MFD. An E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit and an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit would be linked together via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable to support interfacing the unpowered SeaTalk buss (currently linking the SHS (support for heading only), ST60 instruments, and RS125) and DSC VHF Radio to the backbone respectively. As indicated previously, Raymarine has not manufactured products which supported linearization and alignment of the SHS in some time, as this product was been replaced within Raymarine's product lineup by the EV-1 CCU (heading, pitch, and roll sensor / course computer) and the soon to be released AR200 IP Camera Stabilization Module (external GPS & heading/pitch/roll sensor).

The Axiom 7 MFD runs Raymarine's LightHouse 3 operating system which will soon support Advanced Sailing features similar to those currently found in MFDs running LightHouse II software. These features will be added to the MFD though a simple software update designed to be performed by the MFD owners.