Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] A65 Compatability
11-09-18, 05:18 AM
RE: [CA11] A65 Compatability
Hi Chuck...sorry for the delayed reply...Ive been away with work..

Would it be possible to link my current system to an A50D using the st290dpu?

Regards

Tim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-18, 08:35 AM
Tim,

Q. Would it be possible to link my current system to an A50D using the st290dpu?
A. Raymarine does not advise using a ST290 DPU with device supporting SeaTalkng communications (i.e. the A50D MFD (A-Series Classic MFD)). A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit which had been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update would typically be used to support interfacing an A-Series Classic MFD to the equipment which you had previously listed.
11-09-18, 01:14 PM
Thanks Chuck...

Do you have part number/s for what I'd need to achieve this?... I was looking at getting an Axiom like you suggested, But my family bought a new old stock A50D plotter/fishfinder...

Regards

Tim
11-09-18, 01:59 PM
Tim,

The part number for the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit is E22158. An appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable (6m max length) will be required to connect the MFD to one of the spur sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. As the SeaTalk bus is presently powered, it will not be necessary to install the supplied SeaTalkng power cable. Instead, simply unplug the SeaTalk cable from the RC530 and connect it to a D244 SeaTalk Junction block. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable will then be used to connect the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
11-09-18, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-18 03:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck... So... Just so I've got it all right...

Just to clarify, I looking at fitting the long retired A50D...

Take the seatalk1 connector from the RC530...
Connect to a D244 Seatalk1 junction box
Connect a Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG (yellow?) from the d244 to a network backbone E22158... the A50D then connects to the backbone..

Correct?

Regards

Tim
11-09-18, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-18 03:49 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tim,

Q1. Just to clarify, I looking at fitting the long retired A50D...
A1. Noted. My last response was formulated with this knowledge.

Q2. Just so I've got it all right...
- Take the seatalk1 connector from the RC530...
- Connect to a D244 Seatalk1 junction box
- Connect a Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG (yellow?) from the d244 to a network backbone E22158... the A50D then connects to the backbone..
A2. Correctly stated:
- Unplug the SeaTalk Cable from the RC530's SeaTalk socket
- Connect to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block
- Connect the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block
- Connect the other end of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit to the yellow socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter
- Link the A50D's SeaTalkng socket (white) to one of the SeaTalkng sockets (white) of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter using an an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable
- insert one to the supplied SeaTalkng Termination Plugs (blue) into each of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's backbone (blue) sockets.

NOTE: Should this system ever grow to include additional products featuring a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, then the SeaTalk bus will need to be disconnected from its present source of power and the SeaTalk bus will then powered via the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone (in this small system presently consists of only the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and the A50D MFD) via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. To view more information on this subject, click here.
11-15-18, 06:30 PM
Hi Chuck, Just a quick one... Before I go adding the NG Backbone... If I add the old style A50D, Will the 230E still see the GPS through the seatalk1/Seatalk NG? Or do I have to leave the Raystar 125 Attached to the junction box for this to still work?

Regards

Tim
11-16-18, 09:49 AM
Tim,

The SeaTalk communications software within the Ray230/230E was a bit shaky. Had the Ray230 been previously interfaced to a SeaTalk source of GPS data, then it would be reasonable to expect that the Ray230/230E may be interfaced to the SeaTalk bus, which in turn has been interfaced to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. It would also be recommended that the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor (mounted where it will have an unobstructed view of the skies overhead) be interfaced to the SeaTalk bus and that the A50D's internal GPS configured to OFF. The last step is required, as equipment of this vintage did not support multiple sources of any one type of data.
11-16-18, 10:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-18 10:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck...

I'll leave the RS125 connected to the seatalk1 so that it will forfill the role for the VHF, Backbone the seatalk1 to seatalk Ng and then turn off the internal GPS on the A50D...

Kind Regards

Tim
11-20-18, 02:33 AM
Hi Chuck... On a slightly different tack... If I wanted to start replacing my older instruments (i.e the st60's tridata and wind) I presume it would be just a matter of feeding these into the new backbone?

Also, I would like a close hauled wind indicator, Finding a used st60 is like looking for a needle in a haystack.. What are my alternatives?... This is the reason I may update all my cockpit instrumentation... I was told that I could use a i70 multi to replace the tridata/wind and then fit a i60 close hauled wind... is this correct?

Regards

TIm