Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AIS and Vessel tracking broadcasting wrong name
10-02-18, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-18 03:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AIS and Vessel tracking broadcasting wrong name
Hi, I recently purchased a sailboat and have updated the MMSI number (via SeaTow) to our new boat name and contact info, and had a local Raymarine tech update the vessel name in our AIS650 transceiver, but when I check multiple online services the old name still shows, both via AIS sites and MMSI lookups. The AIS settings were changed about 10 days ago. It's been about 6 weeks since the MMSI data was updated via SeaTow.

Old name: Resolute
New name: Enigma

MMSI: 338222414

I've double-checked vesselfinder.com using the map function - not searching for the vessel, while out sailing and it showed our position accurately when I did an AIS search, but with the wrong name. (screen shot attached).

I'm at a bit of a loss where to look next. The vessel has:
AIS650 Class B AIS transceiver
Multiple eS78 displays
Quantum Q24C radar
SeaTalk NG

And various other multifunction instruments (i70, P70, etc.), parts and pieces connecting it all together.

I appreciate any suggestions on what needs to happen to get the info correct! - Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-18, 03:32 PM
RE: [CA11] AIS and Vessel tracking broadcasting wrong name
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tom,

All previously received reports of this problem had resulted from an old database being used by the website reporting AIS traffic. The most conclusive means of such verification would be to contact another vessel equipped with an AIS receiver ... perhaps within your marina ... and after six or so minutes, verifying what vessel name was being observed on the other vessel's system. Should the problem be duplicated on the other vessel's system, then it would be recommended that the local Raymarine tech be contacted to correct the problem ... it is possible that the tech did not command the ProAIS2 software to WRITE CONFIGURATION after having made the change to the vessel name field within the ProAIS2 software. Please additionally note that unlike a MMSI, owners/operators are permitted to change the static data within a Class B AIS Transceiver. This is accomplished via the ProAIS2 software included with the AIS650 and found on Raymarine's website. Instructions for interfacing a PC to the AIS650 and using the ProAIS software may be found within pages 55 and 56 of the AIS650's Installation Manual.
10-02-18, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-18 06:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks so much, Chuck! We'll give that a try. - Tom
10-02-18, 06:21 PM
You're welcome.
10-09-18, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-18 08:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
FYI, that did the trick - one of the neighbors was able to confirm the name is showing correctly on AIS systems, even though websites still had the old name. Looks like we're good. Thanks again for the suggestion.
10-10-18, 08:14 AM
You're welcome.
12-11-19, 01:41 AM
Thanks for sharing your issues with the AIS. These issues are pretty much solved. The marine traffic has to be jumped on next level.

contrainer tracking
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-19, 10:11 AM
Noted.