Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[TG] [TG11] Upgrade to Lighthouse 3
10-03-18, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-19 10:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Upgrade to Lighthouse 3
Hi,

I would appreciate a quick check to see if I am likely to have any issues if I upgrade to Lighthouse 3 software. My system is 2 eS127 multifunction displays, Navionics charts, an ST7001+ autopilot, Quantum Radar, AIS, depth sounder, and a bunch of old Raymarine repeaters/data display units on SeaTalk (including an old TriData running a stand-alone depth sounder).

The eS127 units are currently running Lighthouse II, version 19.03.

Thanks, Hube
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-18, 12:36 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-18 01:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] Upgrade to Lighthouse 3
Hello Hube,

There's a comparison of LH2 and LH3 at http://www.raymarine.com.au/software-upd...reFeatures. LH3 doesn't yet have all of the features of LH2, so unless there's something specific in LH3 that you're after, I'd suggest sticking with LH2 for the time being. In particular, LH3 only integrates fully with current Evolution autopilots, and you cannot switch pilot mode or engage Track mode (steering to waypoints) on a Seatalk autopilot from LH3. LH3 can send waypoint data to a Seatalk pilot through an ST1-STNG convertor (I assume you have one of these), you just have to press Track on the pilot rather than doing it through the MFD.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
10-04-18, 06:35 PM
Thank you for the help. I'll wait and watch to see if Lighthouse 3 updates to integrate with the older autopilots. Would sure seem to be a nice feature.

Thanks, Hube
10-05-18, 01:12 AM
Hello Hube,

I don't anticipate deeper integration being added for the older pilots. I suspect it came down to a choice between spending a certain amount of development resource in maintaining the same level of integration across old and new pilots, or adding better integration on new pilots only, but not being able to afford the time to do both. Since the Evolution pilots have been out for 4 years or so now, choosing to focus on them probably seemed like the logical choice.

Sorry,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
10-06-18, 02:14 PM
So, I did a detailed review of the features I'd lose and didn't see anything I needed. Verified that I had the ST1-STNG converter. Decided to go ahead and upgrade. The current pilot integration is a bit cumbersome anyway so just doing it manually isn't a big problem. I have remotes in both locations and the autopilot head is next to the eS127 in one location.

I must have not downloaded the correct software for the eS or dis something else wrong.

I downloaded the software and put it on the data card. Put it in the Data Master eS127 and powered it on. Nothing. It came up in the old Lighthouse II software. I then tried to update the software from the card but it didn't see the new software.

Seems like this should be simple enough. What am I missing?

Thanks for the help!

Hube
10-07-18, 08:35 PM
Hello Hube,

Usually, this sort of thing is down to one of the following:

1. Upgrade card is formatted with ExFAT file-system. Many modern large-capacity cards come formatted as ExFAT, but this is proprietary/licenced by Microsoft and our displays don't support it. Re-formatting as FAT/FAT32 should solve this problem. You can do that either on a Windows PC or a Mac.
  2. A corrupted/incomplete download. When you download a file, your computer will often allocate space for it and then fill that space, but if the download doesn't quite complete then you can get a file which looks like the right size but is incomplete. It then fails the display's file-integrity check and the upgrade can't start.
  3. Removing the SD card from the computer before the copy process has finished. Unfortunately the time when the copy progress bar disappears from your computer screen is not actually the time when the file has been fully written to the card, only when the file has been fully loaded into the write-buffer. Pulling the card out to early means that you have an incomplete/corrupt file, as above. Make sure you right-click and do Eject and wait until the computer says it's ok before unplugging the card.

If in doubt, reformat your (blank) card (don't format a chart card!) as FAT/FAT32, re-download the file, copy to the card, do Eject and only remove when told it's ok, and try again. I think it will work then.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

01-02-19, 12:09 PM
Hi Tom,

This is a quick note to get an update on the Lighthouse 3 and my thread about upgrading my eS-127 units. Is there any change that would make it not wise to do the upgrade now, assuming I don't need the features we discussed before?

I put it off before a big cruise in the Fall. Ready to make the plunge.

Thanks, Hube
01-08-19, 07:44 PM
Hi Hube,

I'd hold off for a week or two until the next release (v3.8) is out rather than do it twice, but that aside, go ahead. The feature comparison I linked to before is still there in case you wanted to have another check.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

01-27-19, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-19 11:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the great instructions on updating my eS127 units to Lighthouse 3.8. Once I followed your detailed instructions, and those in the online PDF manual, it all worked great. I love the simplicity of the new software.

Thanks, Hube
05-30-19, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-19 10:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
do you know where i can find a list of the files which should be included on the sd card in order to properly install the upgrade?

I have 2 es series mfd's.

thanks!