Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Using an old transducer with a new plotter
10-05-18, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-18 02:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Using an old transducer with a new plotter
I'm replacing my E120W with an Axiom Pro 12 RVX and would like, in the short term, to continue to use my existing sonar transducer. The transducer is part number E66086, sometimes called a B60. I've been advised that this is possible using adapter cable A80496.

But I'm not so sure. My concern is that the Axiom Pro has 1kW output and the transducer is only rated for 600 watts.

Do you think that this solution will work without blowing out my transducer? If not, can you recommend another way to make my new plotter work with my old transducer?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-18, 02:52 PM
RE: [CA11] Using an old transducer with a new plotter
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum spellegrin,

The combination of transducer and adapter cable which you have specified is indeed valid for use with an Axiom Pro RVX MFD. In a nutshell, any transducer which was designed to be directly (no adapter) mated to a DSM30, DSM300, CP370, or CP370 may be used with an Axiom Pro RVX MFD when the adapter cable which you have specified is used.
10-05-18, 05:01 PM
Thanks, Chuck. I'd like to ask a follow-on question.

I think that the correct thru hull downvision transducer for the Pro RVX is the CPT-120. But I don't find anything on the Raymarine site or in the CPT-120 installation manual that mentions the Axiom plotters as being compatible with the CPT-120. There are other plotters listed, but no Axiom.

Please confirm that the CPT-120 is the right choice, or tell me what is.
10-08-18, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-18 12:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
spellegrin,

DownVision Transducers designed for use with a CP100, ax8 MFD, eSx8 MFD, or Axiom DV MFD (ex. A80350 CPT-120, etc.) may be adapted (A80490) for with Axiom Pro RV MFD's RV Transducer socket. The A80496 Transducer adapter would permit your currently installed transducer to be mated to the MFD's 1kW Transducer socket.
10-08-18, 11:45 AM
Thank you once again for the information, Chuck.

I'm sorry to say that I'm still a bit confused. If I use adapter cable A80496 with my existing B60 transducer, I will see pretty much the same sonar display as I currently do on my E120W, yes?

If I connect a CPT-120 will I be able to generate downvision and sidevision displays, or still be limited to "basic" sonar?
10-08-18, 12:15 PM
spellegrin,

Q1. I'm sorry to say that I'm still a bit confused. If I use adapter cable A80496 with my existing B60 transducer, I will see pretty much the same sonar display as I currently do on my E120W, yes?
A1. Correct.

Q2. If I connect a CPT-120 will I be able to generate downvision and sidevision displays, or still be limited to "basic" sonar?
A2. Not quite correct. When interfaced to a DownVision transducer, the MFD will support DownVision and low power high frequency conical CHIRP sonar imaging (see the imaging supported by Raymarine's CP100 DownVision Sounder Module. If your B60 transducer is additionally interfaced to the MFD per the previously referenced adapter then the MFD would support 600W 50kHz/200kHz imaging akin to that which had been supported by your E120W. If seeking SideVision and/or RealVision 3D sonar imaging capability, then it would be recommend that a RealVision Transducer / Transducer Pair be installed instead of a DownVision transducer. The latte would then support RealVision 3D, SideVision, and DownVision as well as 50kHz/200kHz sounding should the B60 transducer additionally be interfaced to the the Axiom Pro RV MFD.
11-08-18, 07:09 PM
I installed the Axiom Pro 9 RVX and connected my B60 using the cable that you recommended, I’m sitting at the dock in about 12 feet of water and the MFD sonar app is telling me that I’m in 1129 feet. Sometimes, but not often, rebooting the MFD fixes the situation, frequently not.

There is a second MFD connected to the master via RayNet - a new Axiom Pro 12 S.

Other than grossly incorrect sonar data, everything seems to be working correctly.