Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] ACU 400 integration to legacy
10-07-18, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-18 07:38 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] ACU 400 integration to legacy
I have acquired an ACU400 unit to replace a defective Type 300 Computer
I currently have an ST6002 control head, and have read that it is compatible with the ACU400 but limited functionality, but cannot find any information on its limitations compared with the P70s.

Secondly I have an Airmar H2183 heading sensor, would this work in place of the EV1/2 Sensor Core, seems to be a similar product
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-18, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-18 07:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] ACU 400 integration to legacy
Hello MBileckyj,

I'm sorry to say that this won't work. Although the ACU400 is a similar size and shape to the T300, it doesn't do the same job.
With Evolution pilots the EV sensor core is the true heart of the pilot, it's where all of the course-keeping decisions are made. The ACU simply receives and acts on instructions to move the rudder to specific locations directed by the EV. Therefore, you can't use an ACU without an EV. If you connect a pilot display, ACU and source of heading data such as the H2183 together and press 'Auto', you'll get an immediate alarm of 'No Pilot', because essentially the EV is the pilot.

You also need a modern pilot controller in any Evolution pilot system. This can be either an Axiom/Axiom Pro MFD or a p70/p70R/p70S/p70RS display. You can connect a Seatalk1 pilot controller (ST6002 or similar or a wireless S100 or Smartcontroller remote) via a Seatalk1-SeatalkNG Convertor, but this cannot be the only controller in the system, there must always be at least one modern pilot display.

It sounds like you need to get both an EV1 and p70S or p70RS display to go with your ACU400.

A lot of things have changed in pilot technology since the T300 was designed in around 1995, and trying to implement full backwards compatibility would limit the development of new products too much. With the Evolution pilots, we had to put the steering intelligence into the EV1 rather than ACU because we need faster communication between the heading/accelerometer/yaw sensors and the main steering algorithm than the NMEA2000/SeatalkNG network would allow: they had to be in the same device.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
10-08-18, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-18 07:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, fully understand the issues now.

regards
Myron
10-08-18, 08:19 AM
You're welcome.
10-09-18, 02:04 PM
Hi

Looking at the Networking support site I can see how to connect Seatalk1 to Seatalk ng, however no mention of what kit is needed to connect NMEA0183 to ng, all my instruments are daisy chained Autohelm ST50's, do I need the Seatalk 1 - Ng spur and cut off the Seatalk1 block and fit spade connectors.
Secondly does the network need a power supply or is this taken from the ACU400?

Lastly I am supplying nmea0183 data (wind/depth/boat speed) )to a Furuno chart plotter and similarly receiving COG /SOG and position data from this via an E85001 interface unit. Would I retain this although this is connected to a Type 300.
Very confusing
Regards
Myron
10-10-18, 05:54 AM
Hi

Further question, the network diagrams on the support site make no mention of integrating the original Seatalk (round 3 pin connector) to ng.
These are currently connected into the Type 300 and interfaced to a Furuno chartplotter via the E859001 interface unit, with the box sending Nmea data (dpth, wind, boat speed) to the Chartplotter and receiving SOG/COG/Lat.long from the Chartplotter. Can I retain the Interface unit or do I need to install an Actisense multiplexer (NDC4)/(NDC-5) to collect the data and an Actinsense NGw-1 gateway?
10-11-18, 11:26 AM
I have studied the network diagrams and posts for Seatlalk 1 (3 pin round connector) interation to ng but can find nothing on this. Do I take take the Seatalk1 to Seatalk ng converter and cut off the connectors?

Secondly I have the Seatalk1 connected to an E85001 Interface to convert to NMEA0183 and send data to a Furuno chart Plotter, and to receive COG/SOG/Position data back from the Furuno to the sealtalk ST50's.
How does the E85001 fit with an ng network, is it obsolete; do I need a Seatalk1 - Sealtalkng Converter and a Seatalkng - Nmea0183 converter, or something more complex such as an Actisense Multiplexer or Actisense Gateway.

Advice much appreciated
10-12-18, 01:39 AM
Hi MBileckyj,

You can keep the E85001 and ST50s on Seatalk1, but don't attempt to do any form of cut/splice connection of ST1 and STNG: they are very different and incompatible networks. Some modern products support either network through the same cabling, but that's not the same as being able to have them talk from one language to another by adapting cables. To connect ST1 and STNG you need to translate the data through an E22158 ST1-STNG convertor. Leave all of the ST1 devices (including E85001) on one network, then all of the STNG on another on the other side of the convertor.

Avoid adding any more NMEA0183 like the plague: NMEA0183 is awful, long-since obsolete and should be left well alone!

E22158: http://www.raymarine.com.au/view/?id=400...7&col=1597
STNG reference manual: http://www.raymarine.com.au/view/?id=400...7&col=1597

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
10-12-18, 03:16 AM
Hi Tom

Thanks for the info but it leaves me more confused as to my options.

I have this configuration with the E85001, with the Furuno Chartplotter connected to both NMEA + and -ve to send/receive data. I also have a Navtex connect to the +ve NMEA to receive all sentences.

1. IF I leave this network alone, do I connect this into the backbone using a Seatalk Converter kit by splicing the Seatalk cable into the Seatalk1 Converter cable (do Raymarine have Seatalk -Sealtalk1 adaptors)?

2. Other option is to remove the E85001, then attach the Seatalk instruments to the backbone using the converter cable and then attach the Furuno chart plotter and a Navtex to the backbone via 2 Actisense NGW1 Gateways or an Actisense Multiplexer? Trust the attached schematic is legible and makes sense

Regards,
Myron
10-14-18, 02:30 AM
Hi Tom, a further clarification please to your response

Would be better to connect the NMEA equipment ie Furuno chart plotter and a Navtex, directly to ng via a converter such as the Actisense Gateway, connect the Seatalk to the Ng network via he Raymarin Converter Kit

Seems to me to be worse to leave the Nmea and Seatalk 1 connected via the E85001, as the NMEA data is going through 2 conversions to communicate with the Ng network.