Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot Control eS127 / S3G / ST8001
10-07-18, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-18 01:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Autopilot Control eS127 / S3G / ST8001
Hi Chuck,

First of all I have been a member of this forum for the last couple months. I am impressed with the thoroughness of the answers and FAQs.

I am trying to control my Raymarine autopilot from my MFD. I swear during the sea trial that the MFD could see/control the autopilot, however now the autopilot shows a Red X over the Pilot icon. Here is what I have:
a) Raymarine eS127 MFD running v19.03-00036.
b) Raymarine S3G autopilot Computer
c) Raymarine ST8001 autopilot controller

Attached are pictures showing about how my system is configured/wired:
1) PIC1: Diagnostics/Select Device menu of MFD showing current version numbers.
2) PIC 2: SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter block
a) Blue 1: Black/blue cable is spliced to red cable and is connected to Fusion stereo remote keypad and Fusion radio head.
b) White 2: Black/red cable goes into 20A fuse marked "#4 Chart Plotter" (see PIC 7)
c) Yellow 3: Black/white cable is spliced w/black electrical tape to cable with old style Fusion connector going into back of ST8001 autopilot controller. (See PIC 3)
d) White 4: Connected into STng port on back of eS127 MFD. (See PIC 5)
3) PIC 3: Back of ST8001
a) Left SeaTalk: Black/white cable is spliced w/ black electrical tape to cable going to SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter block. (See PIC 2)
b) Right SeaTalk: Black cable goes into SeaTalk terminals on S3G autopilot computer. (See PIC 4)
4) PIC 4: S3G autopilot wire terminals
a) Fluxgate
b) Rudder
c) NMEA1 - wired into terminal block (see PIC 6)
d) SeaTalk - wired into ST8001 (see PIC 3)
e) Power - to wire block (yellow) and Autopilot switch on dash (Red)
5) PIC 5: Back of eS127
a) Transducer
b) STng - Connected to SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter block (see PIC 2)
c) Network - not in use
d) Network - cable goes off down starboard side of boat (may go to Radar?)
e) HDMI - not in use
f) PWR/Video/0183 - Power goes to goes into 20A fuse marked "#4 Chart Plotter" (see PIC 7) , Video not in use, 0183 wires go into wiring block (see PIC 6)
g) GA150 - not in use
6) PIC 6: Block for NMEA 0183 wires
a) 0183 wires from SG3 Autopilot Computer (see PIC 4)
b) 0183 wires from eS127 (see PIC 5)
c) 0381 wires from iCom VHF radio
d) potentially other wires (all not traced)
7) PIC 7: Fuse block
a) #4 "Chart Plotter" - 1x red wire to eS127 and 1x red wire to Sea Talk1 to SeaTalk NG converter (Black/Red cable) (see PIC 2)
b) #6 "Auto Pilot" - red wire to dashboard switch marked Auto Pilot

QUESTIONS:
1) Can the S3G Autopilot Computer / ST8001 Autopilot Controller be controlled from the eS127?
2) If yes, is there anything wrong with how this is wired that would let the MFD send messages to the autopilot via 0183 but not via SeaTalk?
3) If no, do I need to upgrade both the computer and controller to something that the MFD can control?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-18, 02:09 PM
RE: [CA11] Autopilot Control eS127 / S3G / ST8001
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum hynespa,

General Comments:

MFDs running LightHouse II software will support use of LightHouse II's autopilot feature if the following each of the criteria below have been met:
- the MFD is running LightHouse II v19.03 software ... your system has met this criteria
- the autopilot must be a Raymarine design
- the autopilot must be compatible with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter or must feature a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 ... S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G autopilot course computers are compatible with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter
- autopilot must be interfaced to the system via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter or as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The Autopilot Controls feature is not supported by Raymarine autopilots which have been interface via a direct NMEA 0183 connection to MFD, via an E85001 PC/SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 Interface Module, or via a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STng, etc.)
- the LightHouse II software's Autopilot Control feature must be enabled within the software's settings
- all SeaTalk and SeaTalkng communications circuitry within the devices and networking components must be operational and properly interfaced.

Based upon the description of the installation below, photos and descriptions of splices (always suspect), the following is recommended:

- Only one cable should be connected to the ST8001 ... a SeaTalk cable connecting it to either one of the autopilot course computer's two SeaTalk ports. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the ST-STng Converter should be connected to a the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalk Converter adn to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The D244 SeaTalk Junction Block should then be connected to the remaining SeaTalk port of the autopilot course computer with an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable. When connecting this cable to the autopilot's SeaTalk port, the cable's red lead will not be connected to the SeaTalk port's red terminal. Instead, this red lead should be insulated to prevent shorting

- The circuit supplying power to the SeaTalkng Power Cable should be protected with a 5A fuse. This will function as the only means of powering the SeaTalkng backbone and must not be modified in any way which would cause it to provide power to a device which was not intended to be powered via the device's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface.

- The SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone (includes the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter) should be constructed entirely of SeaTalkng networking components. This backbone must be properly terminated (i.e. two and only two termination plugs in the backbone and they should be installed within open backbone socket located at the terminus of both ends of the backbone. The backbone should feature sufficient spur sockets such that each device having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface may be installed as an individual spur to the backbone.

- any third party devices having a NMEA 2000 communications interface (ex. Fusion stereo head unit, Fusion remote, etc.) should be interfaced to the backbone via an A06075 39.4in (1.0m) DeviceNet Female to SeaTalkng Spur Cable.

- The MFD's NMEA 0183 output port should not be interfaced to the autopilot course computer's NMEA 0183 input port. All command and control of the autopilot will be accomplished via SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

- Should the autopilot support stabilized 10Hz heading output, as does the S3G, then its NMEA 0183 output port should be interfaced to one of the MFD's NMEA 0183 input ports, and that input port should be configured for 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications.

QUESTIONS:
Q1) Can the S3G Autopilot Computer / ST8001 Autopilot Controller be controlled from the eS127?
A1) Yes. See my opening comments regarding how to properly interface the equipment.

Q2) If yes, is there anything wrong with how this is wired that would let the MFD send messages to the autopilot via 0183 but not via SeaTalk?
A2) See my opening comments regarding how to properly interface the equipment ... specifically the last two items.

Q3) If no, do I need to upgrade both the computer and controller to something that the MFD can control?
A3) Negative. When properly interfaced and satisfying the criteria specified above, then the red X over the autopilot icon should be extinguished.
10-10-18, 10:09 AM
Hi Chuck,

First of all thank you so much for the detailed and knowledgeable response. I am so glad that I found this forum!

Based on your guidance, I created the attached wiring diagrams which I have attached to this reply:

1) SeaTalk1/SeaTalkng/NMEA2000 diagram showing Raymarine model number of each component and how each item should be networked together.

2) NMEA0183 wiring diagram showing which devices should be talking to which listening devices via NMEA communications. I also indicated available NMEA listening / talking connections that exist but will not be in use.

Follow up questions:

1) Do you mind taking a look at the attached Chuck to see if I misinterpreted your earlier coaching?

2) I would eventually like to add a Raymarine S100 remote or E15023 SmartController to my setup. Does it matter if I plug the base station into the back of the ST8001 or the D244?

3) If I want to maintain the ability to control my autopilot from my eS127 MFD, should I avoid upgrading the MFD to Lighthouse III?

Thanks again - the helpful and detailed responses your provide on this forum are really a great benefit to Raymarine customers!
10-10-18, 10:56 AM
hynespa,

Q1) Do you mind taking a look at the attached Chuck to see if I misinterpreted your earlier coaching?

A1) Your diagram shows a T connector joined to each of your Fusion devices and then connected as a spur the backbone. This is invalid per NMEA 2000 standards. It is recommended that the SeaTalkng Backbone be extended to the locations of each of the Fusion devices. At each location, a T-Piece or 5-Way Connector should be installed. Raymarine offers SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet Male (A06046) and SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet Female adapter cables (A06045) to permit third party products having a NMEA 2000 communications interface to be adapted to be mated to a spur socket within a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng Networking components.

Q2) I would eventually like to add a Raymarine S100 remote or E15023 SmartController to my setup. Does it matter if I plug the base station into the back of the ST8001 or the D244?
A2) While it is indeed possible to interface the base station to the ST8001 as you have suggested, interfacing the remote's base station to the D244 block would permit that remote (SmartController) to display system data, irrespective of the power state of the autopilot.

Q3) If I want to maintain the ability to control my autopilot from my eS127 MFD, should I avoid upgrading the MFD to Lighthouse III?
A3) As a number of gap features remain to be included within a LH3 software update, I would recommend remaining at LHII v19.03 until the Spring of '19 when it is presently expected that the remaining gap features will have been introduced into LH3.
10-29-18, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-18 08:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

This weekend I installed both a Raymarine E15023 Smart Pilot Controller as well as a Mercury NMEA2000 gateway. I have attached an updated network diagram showing how each were attached. It functions correctly in controlling the autopilot / direction of the boat.

Thanks again Chuck for all your help with this!
10-30-18, 08:18 AM
You're welcome.