Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] STLK Fail Lightning Issue
11-07-18, 12:51 PM
RE: [CA11] STLK Fail Lightning Issue
Thanks Chuck. I've now attached a new diagram for your review. Since you do not recommend daisy-chaining the i60 & i50 together, I have connected them each into the backbone via a spur. Since there were a lot of t-connectors previously, I have added another 5-way connector to simplify things. I'm not sure if that is best practice or not. Perhaps you can advise. I'm also not sure if I have diagramed the network switch in correctly. Can you let me know? Thanks again!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-18, 01:33 PM
svbloom,

Q1. I'm also not sure if I have diagramed the network switch in correctly. Can you let me know?
A1. Your latest diagram is quite close to being correct. The following changes are recommended:
- the HS5 RayNet Network Switch should have a 12V power circuit supplying it with power. Within a system such as you have shown, I would recommend that it be powered by the circuit which is supplying the MFD with power.
- Ethernet communications and SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications may not be bridged by any device other than a Raymarine MFD. Accordingly, no communications line should be drawn between the HS5 RayNet Network Switch and an iTC-5 or spur within a SeaTalkng backbone. While you have correctly shown a communications path between the radome and the HS5 RayNet Network Switch, you will additionally need to show a communications path between the HS5 RayNet Network Switch and the MFD's Ethernet Network (RayNet) socket (see may last response).

Q2. You do not recommend daisy-chaining the i60 & i50 together
A2. More correctly state, it is considered a best practice to not create such daisy chains.

Q3. Since there were a lot of t-connectors previously, I have added another 5-way connector to simplify things. I'm not sure if that is best practice or not.
A3. Use of 5-Way Connectors or T-Pieces is a matter of personal preference. Where devices are closely located to one another (such as in a pod, behind a helm, etc.), use of 5-Way Connectors can reduce clutter to make a cleaner installation. Be certain to insert an A06032 SeaTalkng Blanking Plug (black) within any unoccupied SeaTalkng spur socket within a 5-Way Connector or product to protect the socket.
11-07-18, 02:11 PM
Thanks again Chuck! Please see revised diagram attached. I have edited based on your notes (ie. I updated the network switch connection). However, I have reverted back to daisy-chaining two of the binnacle pod instruments to simplify the wiring. I recognize you said that this is not best practice, but after considering where the two 5-way connectors will sit (one outside in the binnacle pod and one inside at the nav station) I think this makes the most sense. If there are major reasons (other than it isn't best practice) to not daisy-chain like this, please advise. Also, noted about the blanking plug. I have incorporated that now since one spur socket will be empty on the inside 5-way connect. I look forward to your feedback. Cheers!
11-07-18, 02:25 PM
svbloom,

The latest diagram appears correct in all but one respect ... it is missing the 12V power feed to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch.
11-07-18, 03:43 PM
Thank you Chuck. I have added that and attached. Also, I am wondering-

Q1. Is it possible to terminate the backbone at the 5-way connector or t-connector, or do you have to add a short length of backbone cable first?

Q2. In replacing the ST60 masthead wind transducer, do we need to run a new wire down the mast? (assuming the existing wire is functioning)

Thanks in advance.
11-07-18, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-18 03:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
svbloom,

Q1. Is it possible to terminate the backbone at the 5-way connector or t-connector, or do you have to add a short length of backbone cable first?
A1. In fact, the SeaTalkng Termination Plugs cannot be directly connected to a Backbone Cable. Instead, these plugs will be installed with the two unoccupied backbone sockets found within the T-Pieces, 5-Way Connectors, iTC-5, or SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter within a system's backbone.

Q2. In replacing the ST60 masthead wind transducer, do we need to run a new wire down the mast? (assuming the existing wire is functioning)
A2. Negative.
11-07-18, 03:56 PM
Fantastic. I'd like to sincerely thank you for your time, Chuck. Once we have all new equipment and we are installing, I may link back with you here if we have questions. I wish you a wonderful week!
11-07-18, 04:02 PM
You're welcome.
11-07-18, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-18 08:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi again Chuck- I should have gathered more questions together, sorry for the separate posts. I am also wondering 3 more things.

Q1. Can one of the terminators go on one of the blue backbone sockets of the ITC-5?

Q2. Would the EV-200 autopilot would suffice for our boat (11.31 gross tons and it is a 2002 Bavaria 40') or do you still recommend the EV-400? (Currently we have the ST6000+ autopilot with Raytheon 100 ACU and Lewmar rotary mechanical (electric) drive.

Q3. How can I confirm how long the spur socket cables are that come with the i50, i60, i70s and autohelm displays?
11-08-18, 08:48 AM
svbloom,

Q1. Can one of the terminators go on one of the blue backbone sockets of the ITC-5?
A1. Yes.

Q2. Would the EV-200 autopilot would suffice for our boat (11.31 gross tons and it is a 2002 Bavaria 40') or do you still recommend the EV-400? (Currently we have the ST6000+ autopilot with Raytheon 100 ACU and Lewmar rotary mechanical (electric) drive.
A2. The type of ACU required is not dependent in this case upon the type weight of the vessel, but upon the type of drive unit which is installed onboard. In the case of third party drive units, the ACU-400 would be recommended.

Q3. How can I confirm how long the spur socket cables are that come with the i50, i60, i70s and autohelm displays?
A3. The Spur Cables supplied with the i50, i60, i70s are 400mm in length.