Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] STLK Fail Lightning Issue
11-28-18, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-18 09:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] STLK Fail Lightning Issue
I keep thinking I've asked all of my questions, but they seem to keep flowing. I appreciate your time ;)

Just looking at our current Raytheon 100 ACU and trying to map out how the new ACU (EV-200) will go. Currently, their are red and black cables going to the drive and blue and brown cables for the power. I assume that the red and black cables for the drive would just plug into the new ACU? Same as the blue and brown (power) cables?

Is the current rudder transducer (Raython ST6000+) compatible with the EV-200, or do we need to run a new wire for this?

I believe the ITC-5 needs its own 12v source, correct? If so, can we wire it directly to the breaker that the 12v for the MFD and the 12v for the ACU are on? We are trying to figure out if the one breaker we are using to power the entire nav system will be enough. How much power does the ITC-5 require?

Can we install the new EV-200 sensor in the location of the existing fluxgate compass, if we remove it?

We are also trying to figure out where our current DST and Wind transducers run to. Do you have any idea where these would typically have connected to with an older ‘Raytheon’ setup of ST60s? This will help us know where to look.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-18, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-29-18 09:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
svbloom,

This thread is indeed getting a bit lengthy and will be difficult for those viewing it to in turn follow it, as it addresses a number of topics. Should you have any additional questions, then it is recommended that a new thread be created for each new issue which you will be seeking assistance with.

Q1. Currently, their are red and black cables going to the drive and blue and brown cables for the power. I assume that the red and black cables for the drive would just plug into the new ACU? Same as the blue and brown (power) cables?
A1. Please be aware that autopilot course computers were not supplied with power cables and it is quite possible that the drive unit's power leads were extended. As such no color codes appear to apply the autopilot drive and power leads of the currently installed autopilot. That said, it is recommended that the currently installed drive and power leads be labeled with respect to the terminal of the existing course computer's terminal and then simply connected to the corresponding terminals of the ACU-200.

Q2. Is the current rudder transducer (Raython ST6000+) compatible with the EV-200, or do we need to run a new wire for this?
A2. Yes.

Q3. I believe the ITC-5 needs its own 12v source, correct?
A3. Negative. The iTC-5 will be powered from the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. As has been previously stated, it is recommended that the backbone be powered spur socket which is located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. The SeaTalkng power cable which will be connected to this spur socket will be connected to a switched 12VDC power circuit.

Q4. Can we install the new EV-200 sensor in the location of the existing fluxgate compass, if we remove it?
A4. Placing the EV-1 CCU in the current location of the fluxgate compass would be a good place to initially try the EV-1 CCU. Later, during on-water sea trialing, the autopilot will determines the maximum sensed deviation in the location of the EV-1 CCU. Ideally, the maximum sensed deviation should be less than 10 degrees.

Q5. We are also trying to figure out where our current DST and Wind transducers run to. Do you have any idea where these would typically have connected to with an older ‘Raytheon’ setup of ST60s? This will help us know where to look.
A5. In such older systems, the DST and wind transducer cables were plugged directly into the corresponding transducer terminals located on the back side of the instruments.
12-11-18, 12:39 PM
Hi Chuck- things are progressing here with our system upgrades :) Question for you- does the Raymarine red & black power cable coming in at our binnacle connect to the 5-way connector? (It doesn't connect directly to the MFD, right?) I had it in my diagram connecting directly to the MFD, but I think it goes from the breaker via the spur cable to the 5-way to power the network? Then we have a big thick power cable that is coming off the MFD and I believe going to the radar.
12-11-18, 12:44 PM
One more quick question as well about the ITC-5.... If we connect it into the backbone with a backbone cable going in and one going out- does it also need to be connected via a spur cable? I see it has an output for a spur cable on it and wondered. Also, Can one ITC-5 unit handle all of our transducers (wind, speed/sea temp & depth)? (We do not need two ITC-5's correct?)
12-11-18, 02:25 PM
svbloom,

Q1. Does the Raymarine red & black power cable coming in at our binnacle connect to the 5-way connector? (It doesn't connect directly to the MFD, right?) I had it in my diagram connecting directly to the MFD, but I think it goes from the breaker via the spur cable to the 5-way to power the network? Then we have a big thick power cable that is coming off the MFD and I believe going to the radar.
A1. Nothing within your binnacle pod requires a power cable other than the MFD. It will be powered via the Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable which was packaged with the a98 MFD. As for your previously referenced diagram, it is recommended that one end of the backbone terminate within the pedestal pods to minimize the number of cables which must be chased through the binnacle tubes. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject ... I may have referenced this FAQ previously. Your diagram presently shows five cables being chased into the binnacle tubes. Should the recommendations of the FAQ be following, then only three cables need be chased through the binnacle tubes.

Q2. Regarding the ITC-5.... If we connect it into the backbone with a backbone cable going in and one going out- does it also need to be connected via a spur cable? I see it has an output for a spur cable on it and wondered.
A2. The iTC-5 should not be interfaced as a spur to the backbone. It should be installed as a component of the backbone (i.e. connected to the backbone via SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. The iTC-5's spur socket simply permits some other device to be interfaced to the backbone via this spur socket or for the backbone to be powered via this spur socket.

Q3. Can one ITC-5 unit handle all of our transducers (wind, speed/sea temp & depth)? (We do not need two ITC-5's correct?)
A3. It should only be necessary to install a single iTC-5 to interface all of the listed instrument transducers to the system.
12-11-18, 04:26 PM
Thanks Chuck. I have revised my wiring diagram and attached it for your review. I understand what you are saying with regards to nothing in the binnacle pod needing power except the MFD. However, I currently have a red and black 'power' spur cable going into a ST to STng Converter with my existing setup. Does this red and black 'power' spur cable not need to go into one of the spur connectors of one of the 5-way connectors to power the backbone? In my diagram, I've put it mid-backbone. (Any empty spur sockets will have blanking plugs in them.) The navpod at the binnacle that curently houses the wind, tridata and autohelm display will now house two i70S units and the P70S Autohelm display. This will require 3 cables going through the binnacle tube into the navpod. Thank you for the FAQ as well :)
12-11-18, 04:47 PM
i forgot to attach my latest diagram :)
12-11-18, 05:05 PM
svbloom,

There's nothing fundamentally incorrect with the diagram as long as you can pass all of those cables through the binnacle tubes and into the pod(s). If the AIS transceiver feature a SeaTalkng or NMEA 2000 communications interface then it would be recommended that it be interfaced as a spur to the backbone rather than to the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface. Doing so would eliminate yet another cable to chase through the binnacle tubes.

If the red and black cable which your referenced features a white SeaTalkng spur plug, then it is a SeaTalkng Power Cable and may be used to power the backbone in the manner which your latest diagram indicates.
12-21-18, 12:14 PM
Hi Chuck- I have another question for you. We think we may have gotten our Raytheon 100 ACU working.... Will it be possible to interface it into the network I previously diagramed if we use a Seatalk to SeatalkNG converter? If so, what plugs in where? Can we use the existing ST6000+ display head or would we need to install a new Raymarine display head?
12-21-18, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-18 12:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
svbloom,

The Type 100/300 autopilot course computer is not supported for use with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The ST6002+ AP Control Head is compatible with the Type 100/300 autopilot course computer.