Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] STLK Fail Lightning Issue
10-08-18, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-18 12:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] STLK Fail Lightning Issue
We have a Raymarine A98, along with the Raytheon tri-data, wind instrument and ST60+ Autopilot. We suspect a closeby lightning strike that has affected these instruments as the morning after a big lightning storm, our Autopilot head unit now says 'STLK FAIL'. If we disconnect the STLK from the Wind unit, the ST60+ reverts back to displaying 'STANDBY'. The depth, speed and water temps are reading fine, but the tri-data display inside at the nav station is showing three dashes (---) and the apparent wind doesn't seem to show outside at the helm on the wind display. The MFD works fine, although it is no longer being fed any of the data from the other instruments (wind, depth, sea temp) All other electronics onboard appear to be unaffected. Any ideas what next steps would be here to fix this problem and get it all working again?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-18, 12:52 PM
RE: [CA11] STLK Fail Lightning Issue
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum svbloom,

Unfortunately, the suspected lightning event may well have damaged the communications circuitry within several of the system's components. The only way to effectively test the communications circuitry of these products would be to test each suspect product with an operational product having the same type of communications interface and which was also capable of displaying data from type of device being tested. In this case, it appears that the ST60+ Wind has suffered a failure, necessitating that it be replaced with an i60 Wind as Raymarine's Product Repair Centers can no longer service ST60/ST60+ Instruments. It would be recommended that the SeaTalk buss be reduced the autopilot control head and autopilot course computer. Should the autopilot control head, be able to display rudder angle data and/or command the autopilot into Auto mode (even temporarily) then the communication circuitry of these two devices would be deemed to be operational. The ST60+ Tridata Instrument may then be added to the working SeaTalk buss and the autopilot control head may then be configured to display Depth. If the depth data item is populated, then it also would be deemed to be operational. If not, then the ST60+ Tridata Instrument would be deemed to have suffered a failure and would need to be replace with an i50+ Tridata per my earlier statement regarding servicing ST60+ instruments. The SeaTalk buss of working devices may be interfaced to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. After doing so, the MFD's Select Devices list diagnostics feature should be exercised to determine whether the list includes the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and any other devices listed as having a SeaTalkng network connection. If listed, then the MFD's SeaTalkng communications circuitry as well as that of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would be deemed to be operational. However, should the MFD when configured to display the Heading data item list dashes instead of a value, then it would be recommended that the ST-STng Converter be replaced. Should the MFD's Select Devices List not list the ST-STng Converter or any other devices having a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications interface which have been interfaced to the backbone, then it would be recommended that both the MFD and ST-STng Converter be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
10-10-18, 10:55 AM
Thank you so much Chuck for your detailed reply. We have found it to be extremely helpful! So, after some further testing as you suggested, we feel that the 'backbone' of the autohelm to be defunct due to the lightning.

The autohelm control head does not display any rudder info, heading, nor command the autopilot. Our MFD 'List Devices' does show the ST to STng converter, however the data shows 3 dashes. Our conclusion is that:

*the Raytheon wind instrument needs to be replaced with the i60,
*the Tri-data needs to be replaced with the i50
*the ST-STng converter is defunct but possibly wouldn't need replacing if we upgrade everything?
*the MFD (Raymarine A98) is fine
*the Raymarine radar system is fine (tested on the MFD and appears to be working)
*the Raytheon 'Multi-Display' that we have inside at the nav station does not work at all- would this need to be replaced with the i70?

Lastly, as the Raytheon type 100/300 autohelm backbone is done for, I assume it cannot be replaced since it is old technology. What would be your suggestion here? Would the entire autopilot need to be replaced, or is there a way we can keep some of the hard-to-install components of our current autohelm and get it working again? We believe the drive unit that we have is a linear drive type 2 (short).
10-10-18, 12:37 PM
Q1. *the Raytheon wind instrument needs to be replaced with the i60,
*the Tri-data needs to be replaced with the i50
*the ST-STng converter is defunct but possibly wouldn't need replacing if we upgrade everything?
*the MFD (Raymarine A98) is fine
*the Raymarine radar system is fine (tested on the MFD and appears to be working)
*the Raytheon 'Multi-Display' that we have inside at the nav station does not work at all- would this need to be replaced with the i70?
A1. As the MFD is able to communicate with the ST-STng Converter I concur that the MFD's STng/NMEA 2000 communications circuitry would appear to be operational. I concur that the ST-STng Converter would no longer be required if replacing ST60 instruments with currently manufactured instruments. Instead, the new i50 Tridata, i60 Wind, i70S MFID, and MFD would each be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Should the autopilot be replaced with an Evolution autopilot system, then each of the Evolution autopilot system's devices having a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications interface would also be interfaced as a spur to the aforementioned SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q2. Lastly, as the Raytheon type 100/300 autohelm backbone is done for, I assume it cannot be replaced since it is old technology. What would be your suggestion here? Would the entire autopilot need to be replaced, or is there a way we can keep some of the hard-to-install components of our current autohelm and get it working again? We believe the drive unit that we have is a linear drive type 2 (short).
A2. Indeed, Raymarine's Product Repair Center can no longer service the 100/300 autopilot course computer and your STxxxx autopilot control head. In order to determine which type of Evolution autopilot would be correct for your application, it would be necessary for your to verify the model of autopilot linear drive which is presently installed onboard the vessel. If it is a Type 1 Linear Drive, then T70155 EV-200 Sail would be recommended. If it is a Type 2 Linear Drive, then T70161 EV-400 Sail would be recommended. If operational, then the currently installed rudder transducer may also be retained and used with the new autopilot.
10-10-18, 04:09 PM
Thank you Chuck! We have done more testing today and determined that the course computer and linear drive for the autohelm appear to be working. Following your recommendations in your first response, we have determined the control heads to be no longer operational (Autohelm, Tridata, Wind & Multi). My questions now would be:

1. In upgrading the control heads for the tri-data and wind, I understand that we would need to re-wire with new STng data cables- correct? Would we also need to redo all transducers? Or are the new head units compatible with the existing transducers? (ST60+ series)

2. In upgrading the control head for the autohelm with the control computer (model 100/300) and the drive (model #DU080) do we need a converter of some kind? Does a new STng data cable also need to be run?
10-11-18, 08:35 AM
svbloom,

Q1a. In upgrading the control heads for the tri-data and wind, I understand that we would need to re-wire with new STng data cables- correct?
A1. Please note that Raymarine no longer produces control heads which are compatible with the Type 100/300 autopilot course computers. If seeking to continue use of the currently installed autopilot course computer, then it would be necessary to seek a second hand ST6xxx or ST7xxx autopilot control head. While it is not necessary to install the i50 and i60 instruments in a manner which would support SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications with the backbone, it would be considered to be a best installation practice ... particularly given that the system features a MFD having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 interface. This would be further recommended if the autopilot was replaced with an Evolution autopilot.

Q1b. Would we also need to redo all transducers?
A1b. Negative.

Q2. In upgrading the control head for the autohelm with the control computer (model 100/300) and the drive (model #DU080) do we need a converter of some kind? Does a new STng data cable also need to be run?
A1. See my response to Q1. The part number which you have supplied for the drive unit is not a Raymarine part number. Should you attach some photos of the drive unit and its identification plate / label, then we may be able to identify the drive unit and in turn identify an Evolution autopilot kit which may be used to replace the currently installed autopilot control head, course computer, and fluxgate compass.
10-11-18, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-18 10:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks so much for your detailed response, Chuck. Okay, regarding the autopilot- so it sounds like we definitely need to upgrade the autopilot to an Evolution model then. We just need to determine if the drive itself can stay or needs to be replaced. I've attached a photo of the plate on the unit for your reference. It is a bit tricky to read as it was hard to get a decent photo in the small space it is installed in, but I believe it is:
Model: DU080, Serial #: GB4138, Supply 12V, Freq. DC. If you can let me know what would be involved in upgrading/replacing what we've got that would be great.

Regarding our other affected equipment, I'm also still interested to know if we need to run new wires when upgrading from ST60+the i50 & i60 units? I understand they are compatible with our current transducers, which is fantastic, but are they also compatible with our current wires (power, data, etc.) I'm trying to identify what is involved from an installation standpoint. Thanks so much in advance :)
10-11-18, 10:36 AM
svbloom,

Q1. I've attached a photo of the plate on the unit for your reference. It is a bit tricky to read as it was hard to get a decent photo in the small space it is installed in, but I believe it is: Model: DU080, Serial #: GB4138, Supply 12V, Freq. DC. If you can let me know what would be involved in upgrading/replacing what we've got that would be great.
A1. The photo of the plate is quite legible. Unfortunately, the drive unit does not appear to be of a Raymarine design and I was unable to locate any information on the drive unit when I searched the Internet for its model. I would recommend searching it for some additional information which may identify its manufacturer. Is it a mechanical linear drive, rotary drive, or hydraulic linear drive. One of our techs ventured that it may be an older Whitlock (Lewmar) Drive. What is the vessel's displacement?

Q2. Regarding our other affected equipment, I'm also still interested to know if we need to run new wires when upgrading from ST60+the i50 & i60 units? I understand they are compatible with our current transducers, which is fantastic, but are they also compatible with our current wires (power, data, etc.) I'm trying to identify what is involved from an installation standpoint.
A2. It would be possible to interface the i50 Tridata and i60 Wind to the SeaTalk bus which had previously connected the ST60+ Instruments to one another. Assuming the ST60 Instruments are located in the same pod, then the i50 Tridata and i60 Wind would be daisy chained to one another via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. The SeaTalk which presently leads to the SeaTalk bus would be disconnected from the ST60+ Instrument, and would instead be connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. An A06047 SeaTalkng Spur to SeaTalk Cable would then be used to connect the remaining spur socket of either the i50 Tridata or i60 Wind to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. As with the current installation, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would once again be required. The p70S Autopilot Control Head will not be interfaced to the SeaTalk bus and would have to be interfaced as a spur to the system's SeaTalkng backbone should an Evolution autopilot be installed onboard. As a backbone cable will need to be run to the instrument pod (assumed) to connect the p70S to the backbone, it would be logical to then simply choose to install the i50 Tridata and i60 Wind as SeaTakng devices and eliminate the currently installed SeaTalk cabling. Accordingly, it would be my recommendation that the SeaTalk bus be replaced with a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing addressing best practices installations for sailing vessels.
10-11-18, 03:28 PM
Thanks again Chuck. After further digging online, I have concluded that we've got a Whitlock (Lewmar) 251 Series Autopilot Drive. It is a mechanical linear model and I believe is original to our 2002 Bavaria. Our gross tonnage is 11.31

To clarify- our Tridata, Wind and Autopilot Control heads are all installed at the helm in the same navpod. So, can you clarify for me, exactly what I would need to order here? I'm clear on the i50, i60 and i70s, but I'm not sure which EVO autopilot would be suitable and if it can in fact interface with the above mentioned drive we currently have. Your guidance is greatly appreciated!
10-12-18, 07:37 AM
svbloom,

A T70161 EV-400 Sail would be recommended for use with the vessel displacement / drive unit specified.