Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Echo Pilot FLS Composite Video Output to Axiom Pro
10-10-18, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-18 12:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Echo Pilot FLS Composite Video Output to Axiom Pro
Q1: Will the Echo Pilot Forward Looking Sonar (FLS) connect to the Axiom Pro MFD to display as video via the Power / Video out / NMEA connection interface?

Q2: Where is the wiring schematic for the Analog video connection shown on section 4.9 of the Axiom Pro MFD Installation instructions?

Thanks, Jim

Echo Pilot FFL Product Ref: https://echopilot.com/products/fls-platinum-engine/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-18, 01:26 PM
RE: [CA11] Echo Pilot FLS Composite Video Output to Axiom Pro
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jim,

Q1. Will the Echo Pilot Forward Looking Sonar (FLS) connect to the Axiom Pro MFD to display as video via the Power / Video out / NMEA connection interface?
A1. Actually, the direction of the video supported by the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable is IN rather than out as has been suggested. Interfacing the analog (NTSC) video output of the Echo Pilot to the Axiom Pro MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable would then permit video from the Echo Pilot to be displayed within the LightHouse 3 Camera application.

Q2. Where is the wiring schematic for the Analog video connection shown on section 4.9 of the Axiom Pro MFD Installation instructions?
A2. There is no schematic provided for such inputs. Most marine analog NTSC video sources are terminated with a female BNC socket. Such devices would simply be interfaced to the MFD via an appropriate length of third party 50 Ohm RG58 BNC Male to BNC Male video cable. For devices whose video sockets have been terminated with a female RCA socket, a third party RCA Male to BNC Male adapter would typically be used to then permit the aforementioned video cable to be interfaced to the video source and to the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable.
01-27-19, 10:05 AM
Hi there,

Found this thread when looking for an answer to my current, very similar question:

Looking to buy an Axiom 9 Pro-S and I want to connect our older Interphase SE-200 Sonar. Getting a new Raymarine transducer and discarding the Interphase system is currently NOT an option.

Now your colleagues on the Dusseldorf International Boat Show yesterday advised that our transducer here will unfortunately not be compatible with the Axiom Pro-S system directly, which is why I'm now looking for the best option to connect the two systems.

Has the Axiom Pro a composite input or can I connect the Interphase system via NMEA0183?

Thanks in advance for clarifying.
01-28-19, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-19 04:23 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jms28,

The Interphase SE-200 Sonar features an composite video output port which had been advertised by Interphase to be viewed with Raymarine's retired E-Series Classic MFDs. As the Axiom Pro MFDs also feature a composite video input interface, it too should be capable of displaying the video produced by the Interphase SE-200 Sonar when it has been interfaced to the MFD's composite video input interface.
01-29-19, 11:57 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Which analog video input exactly does the Axiom Pro have? Composite, BNC, both,...?

Will I be able to view the analog video signal from the Interphase in a split screen in the Axiom Pro 9S alongside, say, radar?

Best
01-29-19, 04:21 PM
jms28,

The MFD's composite video video socket (BNC connector) is located on the Axiom Pro MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable. The Axiom Pro MFDs are designed to accept NTSC or PAL formatted composite video through this interface.
02-02-19, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-19 12:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Gotcha, thanks. Last questions, I promise:

Do I rightfully assume that any of the IP cameras (engine room or FLIR) will NOT be connected using the BNC, i.e. having the sonar connected here will still allow me to connect the cameras?

Also, will I be able to split the screen between analogue BNC input (Sonar) and Radar or the cameras?

Nearly ready to order, thanks!!
02-04-19, 10:03 AM
jms28,

Q1. Do I rightfully assume that any of the IP cameras (engine room or FLIR) will NOT be connected using the BNC, i.e. having the sonar connected here will still allow me to connect the cameras?
A1. Correct. IP cameras feature a RJ45 plug, not a BNC plug. The MFD, Digital Radar Cable, and IP cameras will typically be interfaced to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch.

Q2. Also, will I be able to split the screen between analogue BNC input (Sonar) and Radar or the cameras?
A2. Yes.
04-09-19, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-19 09:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

I have purchased the Axiom Pro 12 and other related Raymarine (RM) instruments including the RM iTc-5 transducer converter.

EchoPilot considers it to be quite possible that there could be interference between the forward looking sonar (FLS) and the existing RM depth transducer Z091. The RM depth transducer is connected to the RM iTc-5, which is connected to the STnG backbone.

In view of the potential interference, EchoPilot recommends including switches for each of the transducers so that one or the other can be turned off as needed. For the EchoPilot, the switch simply turns off power to the EchoPilot transducer power supply. Please tell me the best way to add a switch to the RM Z091.

Thanks, Jim, USCG Master
04-09-19, 09:59 AM
Jim,

For the benefit of others viewing this thread, the Z091 transducer is a plastic thru-hull depth transducer which had been offered for use with Raytheon ST50 Depth and Tridata instruments. These Raytheon depth transducer, like analog instrument depth transducers currently offered by Raymarine, are designed to ping at 200kHz. Should the transducers of the Echo Pilot FLS also transmit at 200kHz and should the Raytheon/Raymarine depth instrument and Echo Pilot FLS both be operated simultaneously, then the Echo Pilot FLS may adversely affect the performance Raytheon/Raymarine depth instrument and vice versa. ST50/ST50+ instruments lack both a power switch and controls to switch the transducer ping ON/OFF. Accordingly, for systems featuring both of these products, it would be recommended that the SeaTalk Cable connecting the ST50/ST50+ instrument be modified to switch its power (red) lead. This may be accomplished with a simple ON/OFF switch which will break or permit continuity between the red leads of the SeaTalk cable connecting the ST50/ST50+ instrument to the system.