Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrade to Evolution Autopilot
10-17-18, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-18 03:20 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrade to Evolution Autopilot
Hi, I’m plant to go offshore next year in my sailboat - Catalina 470 (33,000 lb, fin keel, balanced spade rudder, year 2000). I currently have S3G with mechanical linear actuator. I would like my autopilot to be able to steer in heavy weather should I encounter it - such as 40 kn wind and big seas. As I see it, I have 2 options 1/ recondition existing actuator 2/upgrade to Evolution AP with either linear or hydraulic. I will be upgrading to Axiom 9 MFD/Quantum 2 regardless of the AP decision.

My questions are as follows:

- what drive unit would be most appropriate for above conditions
- is there a substantial performance improvement relative to heavy conditions for the Evolution series or is the heavy weather performance more related to the drive unit ?
- with reconditioning my system and staying with the S3G be able to handle heavy weather ?
- long arm linear has hard over speed of 15 seconds - is that adequate for heavy weather ?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

thank you,

Tim Holley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-18, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-18 03:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Upgrade to Evolution Autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tim,

General Comment: Those seeking a new autopilot would typically be recommended to use and EV-400 Sail with a Type 2 Long Linear Drive. Evolution autopilot's are designed to be Raymarine's best ever performing autopilots an are regularly employed in applications where high winds and big seas are common. The improvements in performance are in large part attributed to the 9-axis sensor (EV-1 CCU) that monitors vessel motion in all three dimensions. Prior generations of autopilots only sensed vessel motion in one axis.

Regarding a MFD for blue water applications, it would typically be recommended that a MFD with a HybridTouch interface be used for such applications. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q1. what drive unit would be most appropriate for above conditions
A1. See the comment above.

Q2. is there a substantial performance improvement relative to heavy conditions for the Evolution series or is the heavy weather performance more related to the drive unit ?
A2. Yes. See the comment above concerning the EV-1 CCU)

Q3. with reconditioning my system and staying with the S3G be able to handle heavy weather ?
A3. This is a subjective question. The pilot which is presently installed onboard you vessel would have been considered a standard for blue water operation. That said, these autopilot course computers have been retired for some time now and can no longer be serviced. Should there be a concern that the S3G may or may not be up to your requirements, then it would be recommended that the S3G be exercised on a shake down cruise near shore under such conditions to ensure that it provides satisfactory performance.

Q4. long arm linear has hard over speed of 15 seconds - is that adequate for heavy weather ?
A4. Yes.
10-17-18, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-18 08:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck
10-18-18, 08:14 AM
You're welcome.