Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Merging old and New
10-17-18, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-18 10:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Merging old and New
I have an older setup (2004 vintage) in my current boat. I want to keep a couple of older ST1 components (depth display and autopilot) and upgrade the rest while maintaining interoperability.

I am removing the old HSB2 chartplotter/sonar and analog radar. I wish to keep the autopilot (all I need is a basic autopilot that can steer a route or to a waypoint) and keep the additional depth display.

In reading through old posts and faqs, I believe I have a design that will work, but would like some more knowledgeable eyes on it for anything I've missed.

I have already replaced the autopilot head with the P70R and have it working. I am in the process of replacing the older ST40 depth with the ST50. Next step is ripping everything else out and installing chartplotter, vhf, ais, and radar and getting them to communicate with the autopilot.

I'd greatly appreciate any comments on my proposed setup. I've attached an image of it. I'm concerned in particular with the autopilot as there is some ambiguous information on that between the ST1-STng manual and the faq on the subject that reads like the 150 and newer should work.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-18, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-19 02:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Merging old and New
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mike,

Q1. I want to keep a couple of older ST1 components (depth display and autopilot) and upgrade the rest while maintaining interoperability.
A1. Please list the makes / models of all currently own marine electronics products which you desire to retain for use within the new system.

Q2. I am in the process of replacing the older ST40 depth with the ST50.
A2. ST50 instruments were retired over a decade ago. Is is possible that you meant to specify that the ST40 Depth is being replaced with an i50 Depth or i50 Tridata instrument? If you were correct in indicating that a ST50 instrument was being installed, then please note that they are not compatible with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q3. I'd greatly appreciate any comments on my proposed setup. I've attached an image of it.
A3. With respect to the autopilot, the Type 150 autopilot course computer features a pair of SeaTalk ports. One of these SeaTalk ports will be used to interface the p70R to the autopilot course computer. The second SeaTalk port will be interfaced to the SeaTalk socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. When connecting the Type 150 autopilot course computer to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, the red lead of the SeaTalk cable will not be connected to the SeaTalk port's red terminal and should be insulated to prevent shorting.

If the MFD will be exposed to rain or spray when in use, then you may want to consider a MFD with a HybridTouch interface rather than one featuring a touchscreen-only interface. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Other than the points specified above, the diagram looks good.
10-18-18, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-18 04:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
1. I plan to keep the Type 150 Autopilot. It is currently controlled by a P70R head. I plan to keep the depth display, it is currently displayed on an ST40, I intend to use the i50 display (mistakenly keyed in ST50, MEANT i50). No other ST-1 components will be kept.

2. i50, NOT ST50 (typo on my part)

3. Thank you for the note on clipping he red wire off the ST-1 cable coming from the autopilot. Makes great sense as it could cause a bias issue on the STng network.

4. The MFD will be in a fully enclosed flybridge, so the touch interface should not be an issue. I may go with the Pro version of the Axiom as I did like the touch and manual interfaces on an eS MFD I had in my last boat.

Thank you for the critical eye on the proposed network.

Mike
12-06-18, 01:03 PM
Chuck,

I am in the thick of the upgrade right now and have a follow on question.

I am installing twin Axiom 9's, one RV model and one base model with no transducer plug. They will be connected via ethernet and the RV set as "master".

An A80465 / RV-200 transducer will be installed next year when I pull the boat for a bottom job.

In the meantime, I have a now unused E66057 / B744VL that had been connected to a DSM300. In looking through your FAQ on adapting transducers, it appears to have the same plug as the Airmar Non-Chirp CP370 [DSM style] Transducer that uses the A80489 adapter cable.

Will that adapter cable work for this unit so I do have some limited sonar capability between now and the time I pull the boat?

Photos attached of the transducer tag and plug from the E66057

Mike

12-06-18, 03:35 PM
Mike,

Q. Will that adapter cable (A80489) work for this unit so I do have some limited sonar capability between now and the time I pull the boat?
A. Yes.
01-02-19, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-19 01:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

It initially ran great, but I've run into a snag. Initial installation was a single Axiom RV (E70367) with adapter to the Airmar triducer. Axiom detected it and I was able to receive and display sonar data.

When I installed the second Axiom (E70366), the RV unit never detected the transducer again.

Steps I've taken:

-Did a break and make on all connections and visually looked for bent pins, etc.
-Ensured both Axioms on the most current L3 version (3.7.70)
-Performed a complete factory reset on both units
-Performed another factory reset and only hooked up the original Axiom RV unit (did not network to the second unit)

Granted, the transducer could have suddenly died, but it was working with no issues leading up to this so I'd still like to see if I can make it work for the time being. Are there any accessible onboard diags that could dig a bit deeper?

01-07-19, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-19 11:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Mike,

Per our phone conversation, it is recommended that the Axiom RV MFD be tested with the new transducer (50kHz/200kHz assumed) which you had intended to install in the spring. Should the Fishfinder application detect the new transducer, then it would appear that the original transducer had failed.

Alternatively, the MFD and adapter cable may be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.