Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG] Possible lightening/EMP damage
10-31-18, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-18 05:07 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG] Possible lightening/EMP damage
Lightening recently struck a sailboat about 4 slips away from ours. Several boats suffered damage of some degree, including some issues with Raymarine electronics on a boat a couple slips further away than ours.

All my instruments power up, and the chart plotting function of my MFD is working. However, I have no depth data, no wind data, no radar, no AIS, and no autopilot recognized by the controller.

Is it possible that one or more of the network interfaces were damaged? If so, what would be the best troubleshooting approach?

Here are the key elements to my system. Most of the instrument controllers date to 2010, but the MFD and AIS were new this year. The ITC-5 was new in 2016.

MFD - Axiom Pro 12
Radar - Digital RD418 with RF Base
Instruments - ST70 (Wind (2), Depth, Autopilot)
Course Computer - Smart Pilot x30
AIS 650
ITC-5
High Speed Interface - E85001
Seatalk HS High Speed Network
Seatalk - Seatalk NG Converter
Flux Gate Compass
Rudder Position Sensor
Wind Instruments - E22078
Depth Transducer - Airmar Smart x1 20-633-01
GPS - Raystar 125
VHF - Ray55e + RayMic

Thanks,
Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-18, 05:28 AM
RE: [DG] Possible lightening/EMP damage
Hi cdiversions

Thank you for your enquiry

Unfortunately a near miss strike can be as disruptive as a direct strike and ESD (Electro Static Discharge) can affect products and cabling in many different ways.

More information regarding the effects of ESD can be found here

It is likely that some parts of your system have failed as a direct result of the ESD, these will need to be replaced, however, it is also possible other parts of the network, cabling, switchgear and product may also have been damaged in some way and so will need to be thoroughly checked and tested and we recommend replaced as a precaution against future failure.

In practice testing will be very difficult since the ESD can damage tracks and ICs inside products and this damage will be very difficult to detect. Once the non-functional items have been replaced, a full visual inspection of all associated cabling should be carried out and is possible fuses and switchgear should also be checked too.

A full functional test of the system will also be required, under load to check for components weakened by ESD but not completely failed.

Regards

Derek
11-06-18, 12:15 AM
Derek,

Please disregard my message on how to protect equipment from ESD. I saw your entry on ESD thread. Thanks

1988 Camargue Yacht Fisher
Tom and Kay
11-06-18, 05:15 AM
HI,
glad to help
Thanks
Derek