Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrade C80 MFD to Axiom
11-02-18, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-18 01:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrade C80 MFD to Axiom
Hello
I am a new user to the forum, I am looking for some assistance in upgrading from a C80 MFD to a Axiom MFD.

As difficult as the task is, have traced all wiring and produce a sketch (Existing Seatalk System). The existing installation is on a sailing vessel with two helms (P&S), C80 MFD located down below at the Navigators Desk. Instruments fitted are ST60+ Tridata and wind P&S, ST6002 controller, S2 Smart Pilot, VHF 54E Radio and Type 1 Drive unit.

Of note with the existing system is the terminal box where all cables are terminated onto a common buss bar.

In my new installation I wish to install one Axiom MFD down below and one at the helm.

Questions
1) Can I connect the E22158 converter via the terminal box directly to the Axiom MFD (Option one sketch) or do I have to connection all instruments via backbone cable and converter connection as shown on Option two sketch.
2) Assume the connection for the two Axiom MFD's is via RJ45 cable only.

Thank you
Billdownunder
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-18, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-18 01:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Upgrade C80 MFD to Axiom
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Billdownunder,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Please additionally click here to view a FAQ addressing when a MFD having a HybridTouch interface or a remote keypad would be recommended.

Q1. Can I connect the E22158 converter via the terminal box directly to the Axiom MFD (Option one sketch) or do I have to connection all instruments via backbone cable and converter connection as shown on Option two sketch.
A1. Of the two options submitted, Option 1 is incorrect in that the number of SeaTalk devices per SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter has been exceeded. Option 2 appears to be close to being correct. The Option 2 diagram is missing a spur to accommodate powering the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone from a switched 12VDC power circuit. Additionally, the red lead of the SeaTalk Cable linking the S2 Course Computer to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter must not be connected to the red SeaTalk terminal of the autopilot course computer. Instead, this lead will not be used and will be insulated to prevent shorting.

Q3. Assume the connection for the two Axiom MFD's is via RJ45 cable only.
A3. Incorrect. The MFDs will be interfaced to one another or to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.
11-08-18, 04:57 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-18 08:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck, for your previous answers to my questions.

Do have another question, do I require a R32120 cable to connect my GPS to the STNG back bone cable via E22158 converter kit. Also do I need to the same with the VHF radio.

Thank you
11-08-18, 09:06 AM
Billdownunder,

Q1. Do I require a R32120 cable to connect my GPS to the STNG back bone cable via E22158 converter kit?
A1. The unidentified model of GPS sensor would appear to have a SeaTalk communications interface per the method by which it is presently installed. Such GPS sensors had cables which terminated in bare leads. If seeking to interface the new equipment in a manner in which each product would be terminated with a plug, then the GPS sensor's cable would be spliced to a D229 1m SeaTalk Cable having a press-fit 3-pin SeaTalk plug on on end and bare leads on the other end of the cable. Alternatively, you may create such a cable from one of the currently installed SeaTalk Cables. This cable assembly would then be plugged into a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block to which the SeaTalk To SeaTalkng Converter Cable would also be connected. Alternatively, the aforementioned parts may be excluded and the SeaTalk To SeaTalkng Converter Cable may be spliced to the GPS Sensor's Cable.

Q2. Do I need to the same with the VHF radio?
A2. Negative. You may continue to provide GPS data to the Ray54E via the NMEA 0183 output port of the S2. That said, the best installation practice would call for the backbone to include an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit to supply the VHF radio with GPS data from the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The latter practice would support providing GPS data to the VHF radio without regard to the power state of the autopilot.