Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot enhancement
11-07-18, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-18 01:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Autopilot enhancement
For my 2004 sailing boat SIRIUS (a SunFast 32i by Jeanneau) I am currently considering the replacement of the ST4000 pilot by a new EV-200 pilot.

The new configuration should (perhaps…?) include
(as shown on my preliminary System Diagram):
- p70 indicator
- EV-1 sensor
- ACU 200 computer
- linear drive Type 1
- (if mandatorily required) bar angle indicator
in addition to the existing :
- RC435 GPS
- ST60 Wind
- ST60 Tridata
and…
- ST100 remote controler.

In addition to an indulgent and caring look to my preliminary diagram
I would appreciate your advice and answers to some pending questions :

Q1> will my ST100 remote controler (being left connected to the ST1 network together with the two ST60) allow an effective control of the new ACU200/p70 ?
- even if connected through a ST1<->STng converter (E22158) ?
- even if a note on page 13 § 2.3 of the EV-1 installation notice indicates « limited functionnality »… what kind ?

Q2.1> where could I find explanations about driving clutch ?
use and implementation : shoul I plan the installation of a particular switch to be connected on the ACU200 ( 2 points output #7 on the connexions view p25).

Q2.2> same questionabout sleep function ?
use and implementation : : shoul I plan the installation of a particular switch to be connected on the ACU200 ( 2 points output #2 on the connexions view p25).

Attached File(s)
.pdf  SIRIUS Electronics New configuration diagram v0.pdf (Size: 20.17 KB / Downloads: 266)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-18, 02:22 PM
RE: [CA11] Autopilot enhancement
Q1. (Provide) an indulgent and caring look to my preliminary diagram:
A1. As SeaTalk connection will not be made to the vYacht Wifi Router. As it features a NMEA 2000 communications interface, it will be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. It is not clear to me whether the vYacht Wifi Router will function as a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge. If so, then no further changes should be required to the diagram.

Raymarine recommends that the supplied Rotary Rudder Reference Transducer be used with Evolution autopilots to maximize the performance of these autopilots.

Q2> will my ST100 remote controler (being left connected to the ST1 network together with the two ST60) allow an effective control of the new ACU200/p70 ?
- even if connected through a ST1<->STng converter (E22158) ?
- even if a note on page 13 § 2.3 of the EV-1 installation notice indicates « limited functionnality »… what kind ?
A2. You indeed have correctly shown how the SmartController should be interfaced to the system. In short, the SmartController is not a replacement for an autopilot control head. The p70 will still be required for running the Dockside Wizard, calibration, and configuration of the autopilot's settings. The SmartController may be used to command the autopilot into Auto, Track, or Standby modes. When in Auto mode, the SmartController may be used to command adjustments to the locked heading.

Q3> where could I find explanations about driving clutch ?
use and implementation : shoul I plan the installation of a particular switch to be connected on the ACU200 ( 2 points output #7 on the connexions view p25).
A3. You simply need to connect the Type 1 Linear Drive's Clutch leads to the Clutch terminals of the the ACU200. On may simply attach one of the drive's clutch leads to one terminal and the other lead to the other clutch terminal without deference to polarity.

Q4> same questionabout sleep function ?
use and implementation : : shoul I plan the installation of a particular switch to be connected on the ACU200 ( 2 points output #2 on the connexions view p25).
A4. The Sleep Switch feature is intended to be a power savings feature which may be used when it is not desired to power the drive unit, permit the ACU's NMEA 2000 communications circuitry to remain operating. The Sleep Switch terminals are intended to be connected to an single pole single throw ON/OFF toggle switch. When the circuit is closed (ON), then the ACU will no longer supply power to the drive unit, but will continue to communicate with the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
11-08-18, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-18 11:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Many thanks Chuck, for your reactivity and fast answer !

Now, about your answers themselves :
1. I better understood how to connect the driving clutch and the sleep switch terminals of ACU200
2. I understood also the use of the SmartController itself and the correctness of a connection of it to the p70 through a ST1<->STng converter
many thanks again, but…
3. even if I know that « Raymarine recommands the Rotary Rudder Reference Transducer » with Evolution autopilots to… « maximise » ? the performances of the auto-pilot, I would appreciate to learn a little bit more about these "improvements" comparing with an installation (rather more easy) without any bar angle indicator… and comparing with my old ST4000...

Nevertheles, many thanks again
PAPOU2018
11-09-18, 07:29 AM
PAPOU2018,

Q1. Even if I know that « Raymarine recommands the Rotary Rudder Reference Transducer » with Evolution autopilots to… « maximise » ? the performances of the auto-pilot, I would appreciate to learn a little bit more about these "improvements" comparing with an installation (rather more easy) without any bar angle indicator… and comparing with my old ST4000...
A1. Unfortunately, it would not be possible to provide a response including quantitative performance data as to how an Evolution autopilot would perform both with and without a rudder reference transducer as such performance data would vary with each boat design. Some Evolution EV200 and EV400 autopilot packs are supplied with the M81105 Rotary Rudder Reference Transducer to maximize the performance of the autopilot. That said, the Evolution ACUs may be used with any Raymarine and third party rudder reference transducer (ex. Teleflex SmartStick, rudder feedback option for Octopus drives, etc.) which had been successfully used within a prior Raymarine autopilot design.

Prior Raymarine autopilot designs only sensed rotational motion around the yaw axis. Evolution autopilots feature a 9-axis sensor that monitors vessel motion in all three axes. In the absence of a rudder reference transducer, the autopilot will apply power to the rudder to make course corrections, estimate the amount rudder which has been applied, and then wait for sensor input regarding the changes to the vessel's course were sufficient and adjust further as required. When a rudder reference transducer is fitted the autopilot and the autopilot has learned the handling characteristics of the vessel, the autopilot will be more precise in application of rudder, making for tighter course keeping. Such performance improvements will have the greatest impact in slower moving displacement hulls (ex. sailboats, power boats operating at speeds below plane, etc.) and those operating in heavy seas.
11-09-18, 03:05 PM
Many thanks Chuck, for your fast and fair answers.
Even if I'm still wondering what will be (and how will be derived) the performance increase due to a 9 axis sensor working together with a rudder reference sensor for the benefit of a (sofisticated) pilot software...
Anyway, time has come to think slightly less and act more.
I have got all necessary information to start implementing my new system.
Thanks again.

I'll tell you within a few months...
11-09-18, 03:50 PM
You're welcome.