Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] upgrading I-70
11-12-18, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-18 10:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] upgrading I-70
When I purchased my boat, the previous owner left behind a i-70 unit. Now, I see why he didn't bother to have it installed. I have a nice E-127 chart plotter. With an ST5000+ autopilot, ST60 wind, auto helm tridata ST60.
With plenty of on line searching I thought, with a ITC-5 I would be all set. Yet, both come with spur cables and no backbone. My question is what instruments will I need to get in order to upgrade?
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-18, 10:26 AM
RE: [CA11] upgrading I-70
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum WAArete,

As long as the ST60 Tridata and ST60 Wind are operational, there should be no need to install an iTC-5 to the system. The following response assumes that the MFD has been interfaced to the instruments and ST5000+ via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. Either of the following two methods may be employed to interface a i70/i70S MFID to the system:

- (best installation practice) add a spur socket(s) to the backbone (SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter) and then connect the i70/i70S MFID to the spur socket via an an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable.

- interface the i70/i70S MFID to the SeaTalk bus. The i70/i70S MFIDs feature a communications interface which will either support SeaTalk communications or SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications depending upon the type of communications sensed by the MFID's communications interface. If seeking to simply have the MFID repeat instrument, GPS, and heading data, then it would be recommended that the MFID be daisy chained to one of the unused SeaTalk sockets within the currently installed ST60 instruments or ST5000+ autopilot. The A06047 SeaTalkng Adapter Cable may be used to support this option.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply