Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Replacing L760
11-19-18, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-18 03:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Replacing L760
Hello,

I currently have L760 and Rl70c units installed as my current setup. I was looking to upgrade one of these to a newer 9 inch unit, possibly an A97. I'd assume it would be easier to replace the L760 and leave the Rl70c as I am pretty content with this setup for its radar. My main concern in upgrading besides the larger screen is the fishfinder capabilites and to a lesser degree the Chartplotter aspect. Would an A97 unit be compatible with my current 50/200 transducer as well as the Rl70c unit? What other considerations would I have to be concerned with if I went this route?
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-18, 03:47 PM
RE: [CA11] Replacing L760
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum

Q1. Would an A97 unit be compatible with my current 50/200 transducer?
A1. The ax7 MFDs (ex. a77, a97, a127), cx7 MFDs, e7D MFD, ex7 MFDs, eSx7 MFDs, Axiom DV MFDs, Axiom RV MFDs, and Axiom Pro RVX MFDs may all be adapted for use with the L760's fishfinder transducer (assuming the the L760's transducer has not been adapted itself to be mated to the L760).

Q2. Would an A97 unit be compatible with my current Rl70c unit? What other considerations would I have to be concerned with if I went this route?
A2. It is not possible for hsb/hsb2 Pathfinder Series Displays (ex. RL70C, L760, RC530, etc.) to share radar, fishfinder, and C-Map cartography with any family of displays other than another hsb/hsb2 Pathfinder Series Display. Communications between a hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Display and an ax7 MFD, cx7 MFD, e7D MFD, ex7 MFD, eSx7 MFD, Axiom DV MFD, Axiom RV MFD, and Axiom Pro RVX MFD would be limited to alphanumeric GPS, instrument, navigational, MOB, and system state data. The latter would be accomplished via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit.
11-19-18, 07:30 PM
Chuck, thank you for the response. I'd have to assume that if I were to add 2 a97 units or equivalent that these would not be compatible with my current radome which is hooked to my Rl70c at this time? I would prefer not to replace the existing radome as it is in good shape and good working order. If I had to stick with my Rl70c unit and add an additional a97 unit, can I still use the Rl70c independently as a radar only display and go about the fishfinder/Chartplotter with the a97 unit? Sorry for all theae questions but I am new to all of this Raymarine equipment.
11-20-18, 05:26 AM
HI Cfishh

You are correct in that the a97s will not connect to the radome connected to the Rl70C, the options would be to replace the Radome with our Quantum radome which uses wireless communications to the a97 and just needs a power supply up the mast, or keep the radome and rl70c as a standalone radar system. One point to consider is that the rl70c and radome would get a decent price secondhand and would contribute towards the Quantum radome?

If you kept the rl70c as a standalone radar, the a97 could be used as the chartplotter and sonar.

regards
Derek
01-28-19, 09:12 PM
Guys, thanks for all the info on this equipment. I have done a little research and found that my transducer is a P65 model which I'm not able to find much info on. Can you confirm for me that this P65 is compatible with some of the more modern fishfinder units mentioned? Thanks again
01-29-19, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-19 11:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Cfishh,

Raymarine had produced a P65 transducer which had been designed to be interfaced to an L760 Pathfinder Series Fishfinder. Had this transducer's cable able been plugged directly into the L760's Transducer socket without use of an adapter cable, then it should be able to be adapted (part #E66066) to be mated to the Transducer socket of an ax7, cx7, e7D, or eSx7 MFD such as an a97 MFD.
01-29-19, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-19 08:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
It appears the transducer cable goes directly into the back of my L760 unit. So I guess the adapter will allow me to connect to a newer unit after all? Having said that, how would performance be with this transducer and a more modern unit? Also how would this (or wouldn't) work with say a chirp unit?
01-30-19, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-19 08:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Cfishh,

Q1. It appears the transducer cable goes directly into the back of my L760 unit. So I guess the adapter will allow me to connect to a newer unit after all?
A1. Yes.

Q2. Having said that, how would performance be with this transducer and a more modern unit?
A2. When used with the subject transducer, the MFD would support very similar 50kHz/200kHz conical fishfinder imaging to that produced by the L760 with the same transducer. Typical depth performance would be 800'-1000'. If seeking to fish deeper water or if seeking better sonar image detail, then a CP470 w/compatible 1kW CHIRP transducer would be recommended.

Q3. Also how would this (or wouldn't) work with say a chirp unit?
A3. Should the ax7 MFD be interfaced to a CP470 w/compatible 1kW CHIRP transducer and should the P65 transducer be interface to the ax7 MFD's Transducer, then the MFD(s) would not only support 50kHz/200kHz conical fishfinder imaging, but also CHIRP sonar imaging. One may choose to have the MFD display any one of the corresponding fishfinder channels (50kHz, 200kHz, CHIRP) or display all simultaneously.
03-01-19, 10:10 PM
Chuck thanks for all the help and your patience with all this. So after all is said and done, I've jow decided to go with an es98 unit instead. Having said this, will my p65 transducer mate to this unit and if so, how? My main goal is to avoid installing a new transducer in my transom if at all possible. I have a standard chirp transducer for this unit and am wondering if it would be all that much of an upgrade if I could just get away with the existing p65?
03-04-19, 11:29 AM
Cfishh,

Q1. Will my p65 transducer mate to an es98 MFD and if so, how? My main goal is to avoid installing a new transducer in my transom if at all possible.
A1. The P65 transducer cannot be adapted to be mated to an eS98 MFD. It may however be interfaced to a CP370 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder sounder module, which in turn may be networked via Ethernet networking to an eS98 MFD.