Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading 2005 era electronics
11-28-18, 03:45 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-18 10:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrading 2005 era electronics
Hello,
I am upgrading older electronics on a 2005 Beneteau I recently acquired. I hope you might review a proposed design and answer a couple of questions.
Attached is a sketch of the proposed electronics and network.
I purchased an Axiom Pro 9 RVX and Quantum doppler radar. I plan to purchase an AIS 700 transceiver and possibly a new VHF. For now I want to keep the old S2 autopilot and the ST6001 controller as well as the ST60 Tridata, ST60 Wind, and the ST60 Graphics display. I will remove a Garmin GPS computer which sent data to the S2 autopilot by means of the NEMA connections.
I understand that MARPA radar display functions will not work without a fast heading data source which the S2 autopilot does not provide.
Q1. With the new setup setup will the S2 autopilot get sufficient data from the Axiom Pro and the legacy instruments to continue to function as it does now?
Q2. Will the Axiom Pro be able to direct the S2 autopilot in any manner?
Right or wrong, currently power to the Seatalk1 daisy chained ST60 instruments comes from both a power source connected to one of the seatalk1 connections on the Tridata and from power through the autopilot. In preparation for the new system I looked at removing the autopilot power source to the new Seatalk1 / Seatalkng network. With the old setup when I disconnect the power core wire (red wire) at the Seatalk1 B connection on the autopilot while leaving the other two wires in place the ST6001 reported a Seatalk network failure.
Q3. When I install the new network with the powered Seatalkng convertor how should I deal with this double power source? Leave it as is and don’t worry about it, try to fool the system by removing the red wire as I did before and jumper a power wire from Seatlalk1 A to Seatalk1 B, or something else?
Please let me know if you have any suggestions or concerns with the proposed design or if it looks ok.
Thanks.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-18, 10:56 AM
RE: [CA11] Upgrading 2005 era electronics
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum harmonr,

Diagram comments:
a) Great diagram!
b) Technically correct with one exception: the red lead of the SeaTalk cable connecting the ST60 Graphic to the S2's red SeaTalk B terminal as shown within the diagram should not be connected to that terminal. This red lead of the SeaTalk cable will not be used and the lead's conductor should be insulated to prevent shorting.

Q1. With the new setup setup will the S2 autopilot get sufficient data from the Axiom Pro and the legacy instruments to continue to function as it does now?
A1. Yes.

Q2. Will the Axiom Pro be able to direct the S2 autopilot in any manner?
A2. The Axiom Pro MFD will be able to send navigational data associated with a Go To or Follow Route command executed within the MFD's Chart application. After doing so, the autopilot's control head must be used to engage Track mode.

Q2a. Right or wrong, currently power to the Seatalk1 daisy chained ST60 instruments comes from both a power source connected to one of the seatalk1 connections on the Tridata and from power through the autopilot. In preparation for the new system I looked at removing the autopilot power source to the new Seatalk1 / Seatalkng network. With the old setup when I disconnect the power core wire (red wire) at the Seatalk1 B connection on the autopilot while leaving the other two wires in place the ST6001 reported a Seatalk network failure.
A2. See b) in the diagram comments above. The ST60 instruments will be powered by the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The S2 will supply power to the autopilot control head via the S2's SeaTalk A port.

Q3. When I install the new network with the powered Seatalkng convertor how should I deal with this double power source? Leave it as is and don’t worry about it, try to fool the system by removing the red wire as I did before and jumper a power wire from Seatlalk1 A to Seatalk1 B, or something else?
A3. See the response Q2.
11-28-18, 08:58 PM
Thank you very much for your prompt review and thorough answers. I'll proceed as you suggest.

After reading a lot of threads in this forum I want to offer kudos. I am very impressed with the great service you and others from Raymarine provide with your patient, thoughtful, and in-depth answers. I have learned a great deal from reading them.

Cheers.
11-29-18, 08:55 AM
You're welcome.