Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] C90W loses GPS fix
12-03-18, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-18 01:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] C90W loses GPS fix
Every thing works fine on my C90W except about once every hour it loses its GPS position. The alarm sounds eight times even if I hit the Acknowledge button. After that everything works fine except I lose all routing information. I have to reestablish a Waypoint. Nothing has changed to block the GPS signal Is there anything I can do?

Kevin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-18, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-18 01:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] C90W loses GPS fix
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Kevin,

The reported issue may be resulting from any one or more of the following:

- The C-Series Widescreen MFD (and its internal GPS receiver) are operating with an early software version ... ensure that the MFD has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update (V2.35).

- Old software with networked devices having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface ... update the software within all networked devices having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface with the latest available Raymarine product software update.

- C-Series Widescreen MFDs do not feature support for multiple sources of any one type of data within a system ... including GPS data. Should the system feature a second source of GPS, then the GPS source having an unobstructed view of the skies overhead should be used as the system's GPS data source. All other sources of GPS data (ex. the internal GPS receiver within a connected C-Series Widescreen MFD, etc.) should be configured OFF.

- The system's source of GPS data has not been afforded the an unobstructed view of the skies overhead. Weakened GPS signal strength resulting from temporary obstructions (ex. wet bimini top, crew seated/standing near rail mounted GPS sensor, etc.) may result in intermittent GPS position FIX or no GPS position FIX. Any loss of GPS position FIX will result in cessation of navigation (Go To or Follow Route).

- Interference from an RF emitter onboard (ex. radar, VHF radio, AIS, etc.). Such may occur if the emitter's transmitter or antenna are located in close proximity to the GPS receiver ... please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

- Incorrectly interfaced equipment resulting in data loop ... the most common cause of such involves an AIS receiver or transceiver which has been both interfaced to the system's SeaTalkng backbone and to the MFDs NMEA 0183 communications interface. When in doubt, attach a system diagram for review. The diagram should identify each device within the marine electronics system and how each have been interfaced to the system.

- A failing GPS data source ... install a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor to replace a failing external GPS sensor or failing internal GPS sensor within the MFD. If install a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor to replace a failing internal GPS sensor within the MFD, then be certain to configure the MFD's internal GPS receiver to OFF.
12-04-18, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-18 01:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Of all your possible solutions a software update sounds like the most likely. I have never updated the system since I bought the boat 4 years ago. Does it sound like a software or hardware problem (the fact that I can't stop the "lost gps fix" alarm until it beeps 8 times)?
Also can you point me to a FAQ that spells out how to update CWide series software?

Thanks
Uffdakev
12-04-18, 01:40 PM
Kevin,

The link provided within my initial response may be used to access the Raymarine Product Software Updates web page, where the link to C-Series Widescreen MFD software updates may be found along with links to the software updates for other Raymarine MFDs.