Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Segmentation of the seatalkng network
12-03-18, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-18 10:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Segmentation of the seatalkng network
Dear all,

I would like to protect the functionality of the seatalk ng network with a fuse or with a switch on + wire of backbone cable that isolates the elements of the external bridge, so that in case of issues (like short circuit) the network core can still work.
let me know if this target could be achieved
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-18, 11:28 AM
RE: [CA11] Segmentation of the seatalkng network
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mm,

As a best installation practice the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will not be powered via an autopilot course computer / ACU or from a SeaTalk bus. Instead, the SeaTalk / NMEA 2000 backbone will be powered via a spur socket which is located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. A SeaTalkng Power Cable will be connected to a switched 12VDC power circuit which in turn has been protected with a 3A fuse or 5A breaker. Should the system feature devices having a SeaTalk (not to be confused with SeaTalkng) communications interface, then these devices will be interfaced to an unpowered SeaTalk bus which will be instead powered via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s) which has been installed as a component of the backbone.
12-04-18, 05:48 PM
thank you Chuck for the guidelines.

Since in extreme conditions it could be difficult to go outside to understand the origin of network problems, I would like to know if it is possible to put a switch along the seatalkng backbone to cut off the power supply to a segment of the network, when this segment has a problem that can make the whole network malfunctioning

Best regards
Maurizio
12-05-18, 08:58 AM
Maurizio,

It is indeed possible to do as you have suggested.