Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] autopilot
12-04-18, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-18 09:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] autopilot
I am attempting to put an autopilot on my C-Dory 22. If I install an Octopus Type S wheel, what will I need to make the connection to my Axiom to complete the set up. Here is what I have come up with....

EV Sensor Core and the ACU-100, does the Axiom act as the control head?

If so I think this would be the connection...

The EV Sensor connects to both the Axiom and the ACU-100 (two cables come out of it?) and the ACU-100 connects to the Octopus motor drive wheel.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-18, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-18 09:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum David,

I too own an Octopus Drive for my powerboat ... in my case a Type R. The Type R and Type S drives are fundamentally the same with regard to their ACU requirements ... in this case an ACU-200. The ACU-100 and ACU-150 do not feature controls for the drive's clutch. Accordingly, it would be recommended that a T70156 EV-200 Power be purchased for use with your Octopus Type S Drive. A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will be constructed from SeaTalkng networking components. The ACU-200, EV-1 CCU, p70RS Autopilot Control Head, and MFD will each be interfaced as an individual spur to the aforementioned backbone. The MFD's NMEA 2000 socket may be found on the MFD's Power / NMEA 2000 Cable.
12-06-18, 07:04 AM
Thanks Chuck,

I think I've got it but I have a few more questions.

When you say "A powered and properly terminated SeaTalking/NMEA 2000 backbone" How do I properly terminate the NMEA cable?

My other question concerns grounding. I don't understand what an RF ground point is and what a drain conductor (screen) is.

The electric system on the C-Dory is minimal, should I run a separate supply from the battery to the ev-200 and then power the back bone from the ev200 and from the backbone power the displays? Will the drive unit (octopus) need a separate power supply?

Thanks,
Dave
12-06-18, 10:26 AM
David,

Q1. When you say "A powered and properly terminated SeaTalking/NMEA 2000 backbone" How do I properly terminate the NMEA cable?
A1. Termination simply involve installation of one SeaTalkng Termination Plug in each of the backbone's two end sockets. More information concerning SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 Networking may be found with the SeaTalkng Reference Manual. Although a bit dated, the overwhelming percentage of the information contained therein remains valid.

Q2. My other question concerns grounding. I don't understand what an RF ground point is and what a drain conductor (screen) is.
A2. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3. The electric system on the C-Dory is minimal, should I run a separate supply from the battery to the ev-200 and then power the back bone from the ev200 and from the backbone power the displays? Will the drive unit (octopus) need a separate power supply?
A3. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.