Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot selection for my size of boat
12-09-18, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-18 01:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Autopilot selection for my size of boat
I would like to replace the existing autopilot system on my boat, but am having difficulties figuring out which EV1 package to purchase.

I have an existing hydraulic pump that I would like to keep. It is not very old, and works extremely well. It is a Type 2 hydraulic pump and has two wires coming into it.

The boat itself is a 1988 Ocean Alexander 42' sundeck yacht, around 28,000 pounds dry weight, max speed of 20 knots, although we cruise mostly at 10-12 knots.

I am guessing based on this that the ACU-400 is the unit I should be using, and the package I should be ordering is T70162. I just want to confirm that seems correct, and that I can use it with an existing pump.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-18, 02:01 PM
RE: [CA11] Autopilot selection for my size of boat
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Steve,

Assuming that the Type 2 Hydraulic Pump was correctly selected for the cubic capacity of the vessel's steering ram, then the T70162 EV-400 Power autopilot would indeed be recommended for this application. If supplied with the number of steering rams, cubic capacity of the steering ram(s), and if more than one steering ram is installed, whether they have been plumbed in a serial or parallel configuration, it may then be possible to specify whether the Type 2 Hydraulic Pump had been correctly selected for your vessel.
Find all posts by this user
12-10-18, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-18 08:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

I believe the pump has been selected appropriately as the current autopilot works without any issues for long periods of time, does not get hot or have any problems in bigger seas.

There is one steering ram, but I do not know the cubic capacity. It's made by Capilano and the model number is older so I can't find any info online.

Given that the current pump works well, and there is only one ram, I would assume this simplifies things.
12-11-18, 08:34 AM
Steve,

Your assumptions are reasonably safe. Should you want to be certain then I would recommend inspecting the ram. It's cubic capacity will be stamped onto the body of the ram.
12-11-18, 11:11 AM
Thanks Chuck! I will see if I can find that stamped on it just to confirm.
12-18-18, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-18 04:42 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
One other related question - does the bundle/product ID I cited above include a rudder reference unit in the package?

The manual says yes in one spot, but also "check your parts list" in another, and I just want to be sure I don't have to order that separately. Thanks!
12-18-18, 04:47 PM
Steve,

The package of each Evolution ACU-400 Actuator Control Unit includes a rudder reference transducer.