Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Can spur cables be coiled?
12-09-18, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-18 10:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Can spur cables be coiled?
I have a 3 instrument pod on my sailboat steering pedestal.
I plan on installing 1 ea of i70S, i60 Wind, P70S.

I see two options for connecting these instruments to the SeatalkNG backbone.

1. Run individual spur cables thru the pedestal guard to a below deck backbone 5 way connector.
2. Put a backbone 5 way connector in the instrument pod and use the shortest spur cables to connect to the backbone. That means 3 * 15" spur cables bundled into a 6" by 18" instrument pod and one backbone cable thru the pedestal guard to below deck.

What would be the recommended option?

Thanks
Ward
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-18, 11:00 AM
RE: [CA11] Can spur cables be coiled?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ward,

Q1. 1. Run individual spur cables thru the pedestal guard to a below deck backbone 5 way connector.
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, it is recommended that the backbone be terminated in the pod rather than running multiple spur cables through the binnacle tube. However, should you decide to not follow this recommendation, then please note that the minimum recommended bend radius for coiling excess backbone / spur cables is approx. 2.5" (5" diameter coil).

Q2. 2. Put a backbone 5 way connector in the instrument pod and use the shortest spur cables to connect to the backbone. That means 3 * 15" spur cables bundled into a 6" by 18" instrument pod and one backbone cable thru the pedestal guard to below deck.
A3. This would be the recommended solution.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply