Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Replace Quantum QC24C with new Quantum 2?
12-11-18, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-18 03:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Replace Quantum QC24C with new Quantum 2?
I have a late 2016 model Quantum QC24C but love the new features of the Doppler equipped Quantum 2 radar w Axiom software.

1. Are the connections between the two identical, or would new/different cables and/or connectors be required if I wanted to replace the older QC24C with the new Quantum 2? Could I just unplug and remove the old unit and plug in the new unit?

2. Are the mounting holes for the domes identical?

3. I'm running a late 2016 eS97 MFD, still on the pre-Axiom software. I believe there is no issue to upgrading to Axiom when I'm ready (I've delayed due to watching for more of the sailing features to be supported in Axiom. Maybe to simplify my search for the latest on the old/new feature comparison list you might have that URL handy as well?) Other than that, are there any restrictions/issues with the eS97 supporting the new Quantum 2?

Thanks! Bob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-18, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-18 02:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Replace Quantum QC24C with new Quantum 2?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

Q1. Are the connections between the two identical, or would new/different cables and/or connectors be required if I wanted to replace the older QC24C with the new Quantum 2? Could I just unplug and remove the old unit and plug in the new unit?
A1. Indeed, you need do nothing more than unplug the Quantum radome from its cable(s) and then plug in the Quantum 2 radome.

Q2. Are the mounting holes for the domes identical?
A2. Yes.

Q3. I'm running a late 2016 eS97 MFD, still on the pre-Axiom software. I believe there is no issue to upgrading to Axiom when I'm ready.
A3. Essentially, the performance and features of a Quantum 2 radome interfaced to a MFD running LightHouse II software (ex. eS97 MFD) will be identical to those a MFD running LightHouse II software which has been interfaced to a Quantum radome. When the MFD running LightHouse II software is replaced with an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom/Axiom XL MFD or the eS/gS-Series MFD has been updated with the latest available LightHouse 3 software, then the MFD which has been interfaced to a Quantum 2 radome will additionally support the Doppler collision avoidance technology detailed within the latest version of the LightHouse 3 Operations Guide.

Q3. I've delayed due to watching for more of the sailing features to be supported in Axiom. Maybe to simplify my search for the latest on the old/new feature comparison list you might have that URL handy as well?
A3. Unfortunately, several gap items remain, but most are expected to be closed out by the summer of 2019. The latest information may be found within the FAQs posted here.

Q4. Are there any restrictions/issues with the eS97 supporting the new Quantum 2?
A4. Negative.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply