Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Winter electronics upgrade
12-19-18, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-18 11:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Winter electronics upgrade
I hav a 2004 Formula 34PC with twin 496 Mercs. All Raymarine and I want to upgrade and add some components. I do not have engine data (smart craft or other). AIS was installed in 2015. Attached are diagrams of the current configuration and my proposed configuration. I am looking for verification of the networks, connectivity and any advice you can give me. There is an existing NMEA0183 I believe is due to the VHF limitations which I was not planning on replacing unless otherwise advised.

Here is my plan:
1- Add engine data using Mercury gateway with NMEA2000 output. I was told I would need to connect the gateway to a Raymarine ECI100 (item 5 on proposed drawing).
2- Replace C80 with Axiom 9 or 12.
3- Add I70 to display engine data. I know I can read this on the Axiom however I want this available all time.
4- Add Seatalk ng network to connect Axiom, I70 and ECI100
5- Add Seatalk to Seatalk ng converter for connection to existing Raymarine electronics. Need recommendation for part (item 3 on drawing)
6- The AIS650 and VHF are connected to a NMEA0183 network which has a feed from the GyroPlus 2. Currently the AIS has a connection to the C80 @38,400. I am not sure how this will now connect to the Axiom or the Seatalk ng network. I need a suggestion here. This is item 2 on the proposed drawing. I would rather not mess with the NMEA0183 network if I don't have to however if it is recommended, I would need to recommendation to what VHF to replace it with and how to connect it to the AIS which is ng but more importantly the signal from the GryoPlus 2. I would be willing to replace the VHF is this is highly recommended but would rather leave that alone and connect Via item 2 on the drawing.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Big&Easy eletronics upgrade 2019.pdf (Size: 574.63 KB / Downloads: 286)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-18, 12:05 PM
RE: [CA11] Winter electronics upgrade
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Lrpopp,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the subject of replacing a C-Series Classic MFD with an Axiom MFD. Note that the currently installed radome cannot be used with Axiom / Axiom Pro MFDs. It would typically be recommended that a RD424HD Radome or Quantum 2 Radome be considered for this application.

Q1. Add engine data using Mercury gateway with NMEA2000 output. I was told I would need to connect the gateway to a Raymarine ECI100 (item 5 on proposed drawing).
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. An ECI-100 would not be applicable to Mercury / Mercruiser engine systems. Should the engine system feature SmartCraft technology, then a SmartCraft to NMEA 2000 Engine Gateway alone would be required.

Q2. Replace C80 with Axiom 9 or 12.
A2. Unlike Axiom Pro MFDs, the Axiom MFDs do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface. Accordingly, the portion of your diagram showing the AIS650 being interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface would not be valid should you choose to install an Axiom MFD instead of an Axiom Pro MFD.

Should you elect to move forward with an Axiom MFD, then the AIS650 would be interfaced as a spur to the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone (including a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter) along with the i70, SmartCraft to NMEA 2000 Engine Gateway, Axiom MFD, i70S/i70 MFID, and a 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 Data Bridge (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.). Accordingly, the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 connections between the AIS650, the 4800 BAUD NMEA multiplexer, and VHF radio would be disconnected from the AIS650 and would instead be connected to the aforementioned 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 Data Bridge.

Q3. Add I70 to display engine data. I know I can read this on the Axiom however I want this available all time.
A3. While it is possible that an i70S/i70 MFID may display fuel rate, RPMs, and many other engine data items, fuel efficiency data may not be displayed on the i70S/i70 MFID unless this data is transmitted to the NMEA 2000 backbone by the Mercury system. The MFD's Fuel Manager feature is capable of calculating fuel efficiency, but will not transmit it to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q4. Add Seatalk ng network to connect Axiom, I70 and ECI100
A4. ECI-100 not valid for this system ... see response to Q1.

Q5. Add Seatalk to Seatalk ng converter for connection to existing Raymarine electronics. Need recommendation for part (item 3 on drawing)
A5. E22158 ... this information is addressed in detail within the SeaTalk section of the FAQ referenced at the beginning of this response.

Q6- The AIS650 and VHF are connected to a NMEA0183 network which has a feed from the GyroPlus 2. Currently the AIS has a connection to the C80 @38,400. I am not sure how this will now connect to the Axiom or the Seatalk ng network. I need a suggestion here. This is item 2 on the proposed drawing. I would rather not mess with the NMEA0183 network if I don't have to however if it is recommended, I would need to recommendation to what VHF to replace it with and how to connect it to the AIS which is ng but more importantly the signal from the GryoPlus 2. I would be willing to replace the VHF is this is highly recommended but would rather leave that alone and connect Via item 2 on the drawing.
A6. There's no reason to replace the VHF radio unless seeking new features within a VHF radio. See the response to Q2.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply