Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual E120 Classic to e125 helm upgrade
05-01-16, 02:26 PM
Dual E120 Classic to e125 helm upgrade
Hi Chuck,
I am in the process of upgrading my original 2007 Sea Ray 44DA Raymarine installation:
- 2 E120 Classics
- 48" open array radar
(other components, some of which I hope to leave/reuse for the moment are autopilot ST-80, Sirius Weather SR50, simple depth sounder, 2 hardtop GPS).
I just purchase 2 e125s, adapter bezels and the HD open array radar.
Questions:
- I can not find a Raymarine wiring diagram for my boat in any Sea Ray downloads, as they all contain the prior SeaRay Navigator documentation, despite the fact that it is a complete Raymarine system. It would greatly help me in tracing wires to breakers and components if you could find it for me on your end, since you did all these boats routinely?
- assuming that I am not the first guy to upgrade a dual E120 system to e125s, is there an easy how to guide of what existing components and wiring I can leave in place and what has to be redone (e.g. new radar cable) or added?
- while not fishing, I would like to install the Downvision capability, but could not identify the matching components. I assume I need a CP100 (?) unit and a tilted transducer for my 19 degree deadrise hull, but I don't find compatible order parts in the selection charts. Can you help?
- what additional components like couplers, switches, specialty cable will I need?
- during transition (i.e. until next haul out, when i can do a new thru-hull transducer) can i still use my old depth sounder? Can I leave the old depth sounder as a redundant data source on the network?
- will my first generation Sirius Weather SR50 still work?
- the boat is equipped with Cummins' SmartCraft to monitor propulsion, fuel etc. Will this interface with the e125 system and how?
- we have satellite TV (currently a 2008 SeaTel). Can I split the coax cable based signal and route the TV signal to the e125's? Conversely, I assume I can route the e125 read-out to my TV's (through DVR, or input switch?) I got confused with the connection explanations in the eSeries manual.

I know, lot's of questions, but any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Heiri

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-16, 01:06 PM
RE: Dual E120 Classic to e125 helm upgrade
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Heiri,

General comment: If appears that some of the items which you have identifed within the vessel equipment list may not have been correctly specified for a vessel equpped in 2007 with new Raymarine products and/or E-Series Classic MFDs. Specifically, ST80 products were not sold/manufactured during the period specified ... it may be possible that you have a ST800x (where x=0, 1, or 2) ... most importantly, we would need to know the model of autopilot course computer which was installed onboard the vessel. Also, while Raymarine produced a SR50, it was not compatible with E-Series Classic MFDs ... it is possible that the vessel was outfitted with a SR100, SR6 or SR150.

Q1. I can not find a Raymarine wiring diagram for my boat in any Sea Ray downloads, as they all contain the prior SeaRay Navigator documentation, despite the fact that it is a complete Raymarine system. It would greatly help me in tracing wires to breakers and components if you could find it for me on your end, since you did all these boats routinely?
A1. Unfortunately, the requested diagram is not available

Q2. assuming that I am not the first guy to upgrade a dual E120 system to e125s, is there an easy how to guide of what existing components and wiring I can leave in place and what has to be redone (e.g. new radar cable) or added?
A2. While no guide has been written on the subject. a FAQ has been generated within this Forum to address this subject. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3. while not fishing, I would like to install the Downvision capability, but could not identify the matching components. I assume I need a CP100 (?) unit and a tilted transducer for my 19 degree deadrise hull, but I don't find compatible order parts in the selection charts. Can you help?
A3. If installing a an MFD an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD lacking internal CHIRP (conical) / DownVision circuitry, then it will be necessary to install a CP100 w/compatible CHIRP / DownVision transducer. In this case, an A80350 CPT-120 thru-hull transducer would be recommended.

Q4. what additional components like couplers, switches, specialty cable will I need?
A4. Please refer to the FAQ referenced above. Unfortunately, we cannot advise on cable routing lengths for specific vessels.

Q5. During transition (i.e. until next haul out, when i can do a new thru-hull transducer) can i still use my old depth sounder? Can I leave the old depth sounder as a redundant data source on the network?
A5. It is quite likely that you may be able to do so. However, in order to confirm it would be necessary to have you identify the make/model of sounding device which is presently installed onboard the vessel.

Q6. Will my first generation Sirius Weather SR50 still work?
A6. See my opening comments. Should a SR100, SR6, or SR150 actually be installed onboard, then it may be retained for use with

Q7. The boat is equipped with Cummins' SmartCraft to monitor propulsion, fuel etc. Will this interface with the e125 system and how?
A7. It is recommended that the vessel's engine manufacturer be contacted to determine whether your specific engine system may be fitted with a SmartCraft to NMEA 2000 Engine Gateway. If so, then click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q8. We have satellite TV (currently a 2008 SeaTel). Can I split the coax cable based signal and route the TV signal to the e125's? Conversely, I assume I can route the e125 read-out to my TV's (through DVR, or input switch?) I got confused with the connection explanations in the eSeries manual.
A8. The screen image of the 9" and larger e/eS-Series MFDs may indeed be repeated to a TV/Monitor supporting 720P resolution. Raymarine offers an accessory cable to support this feature. Similarly, these MFDs feature support for up to two NTSC/PAL video inputs. Interfacing the satellite TV receiver's NTSC/PAL video output to one or both (may required a video amplifier/splitter depending upon the strength of the video signal being split and the lengths of video cable being run) of the MFDs will support displaying video from the receiver onto the MFDs' screen.
05-03-16, 11:23 AM
First and foremost, thank you for the quick and comprehensive response, Chuck! This is extremely helpful for planning and selecting, especially with the links you provided. I will work with Sea Ray to get my hands of an installation interconnect diagram - was just hoping....

You were absolutely right, my product designations were inaccurate. Problem is I am living 300 miles away from boat, and the Sea Ray manual doesn't have the correct original install diagram, so I started digging through electronic files....

A1: Thank you! will post a general follow up Q on Systems Diagram thread

Q3a: Got it, but why is for Downvision the 20% deadrise not material, eg. for depth? Am I overthinking this?

Q5/7a: I have a simple legacy Airmar plastic depth/temperature transducer, no frills, which per Sea Ray manual is connected to the Cummins/Mercury SmartCraft Stbd DCM module and SC5000 System View. However, I have read-out of both temp and depth on my E120s. Does this imply that my SmartCraft is interconnected with my SeaTalk x? As recommended, will touch base with Cummins. Again, your recommended post is very helpful!

Q6a: it is indeed a SR100 - therefore compatible. Is my assumption correct that I can connect directly to one of the e125 hs network inputs, and the weather data will be available on both e125s? Or do i need to go through a switch to have the same sharing effect?

Q9a: Autopilot is a ST 8002 as you suggested, and works fine. However, I don't know what course computer is installed at this time. I know I have a Fluxgate compass. Clue from the commissioning guide: Since I always use MARPA function on radar, seem to have G-functionality, my best guess is S2G or S3G. What's the relevance with regard to the E120 to e125 conversion?

Thanks Chuck, I will keep hammering away!
Heiri
05-03-16, 12:39 PM
Heiri,

Q3a: Got it, but why is for Downvision the 20% deadrise not material, eg. for depth? Am I overthinking this?
A3a. Raymarine does not offer tilted element DownVision thru-hull transducers. The high speed fairing block of the CPT-110 and CPT-120 is designed to be cut to compensate for the hull's dead rise (up to 25 deg) in the location where the transducer will be installed, thereby permitting the transducer's face to be oriented directly downward.

Q5/7a: I have a simple legacy Airmar plastic depth/temperature transducer, no frills, which per Sea Ray manual is connected to the Cummins/Mercury SmartCraft Stbd DCM module and SC5000 System View. However, I have read-out of both temp and depth on my E120s. Does this imply that my SmartCraft is interconnected with my SeaTalk x? As recommended, will touch base with Cummins. Again, your recommended post is very helpful!
A5/7a: it is quite possible the Raymarine system is interfaced to the Cummins/SmartCraft system if the transducer is interfaced directly to the Cummins/SmartCraft system and the MFD is reporting depth and temperature data.

Q6a: it is indeed a SR100 - therefore compatible. Is my assumption correct that I can connect directly to one of the e125 hs network inputs, and the weather data will be available on both e125s? Or do i need to go through a switch to have the same sharing effect?
A7a. The pair of e125 MFDs have a total of 4 Ethernet Network ports permitting the system to be interfaced to two other devices having an Ethernet interfaces without need for an Ethernet switch (i.e. HS5 RayNet Network Switch). In this case, a switch will be required as there are the additional devices having an Ethernet interface (SR100 Sirius Satellite Weather/Radio Receiver, HD Open Array Radar Pedestal, and CP100 CHIRP/DownVison Sounder Module)

Q9a: Autopilot is a ST 8002 as you suggested, and works fine. However, I don't know what course computer is installed at this time. I know I have a Fluxgate compass. Clue from the commissioning guide: Since I always use MARPA function on radar, seem to have G-functionality, my best guess is S2G or S3G. What's the relevance with regard to the E120 to e125 conversion?
A9a. The gating data item for Raymarine MFDs to access the MARPA Radar feature is heading data. The system makes no check for the data update rate of heading data within the system. While the system will permit MARPA Radar features from being used with 1Hz heading data (such as would be available via the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port), 10Hz gyro stabilized heading is recommended for any who will be using the MARPA Radar feature. Should the vessel be equipped with a gyro equipped autopilot course computer as you have suggested, then it's NMEA 0183 Port 1 OUT terminals would need to be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 IN leads of one of the MFDs to supply the MFDs with 10Hz heading data.
07-20-16, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-16 12:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q3b: what would you recommend for transducer material for my fiberglass hull, bronze or plastic? is there a performance or durability difference? I don't seem to be able to find answers.

Thanks in advance, and btw, my upgrade is nearing completion - both e125's installed and work with SR100 weather, Airmar depth and temp, Ray240 VHF and Lifetag... Could not have done it without your comprehensive and diligent answers!!
07-20-16, 12:16 PM
Heiri,

Q3b: what would you recommend for transducer material for my fiberglass hull, bronze or plastic? is there a performance or durability difference? I don't seem to be able to find answers.
A3b: From a performance standpoint the bronze and plastic CHIRP/DownVision transducers are equivalent. From a longevity standpoint, bronze transducers are offered for maximum longevity as well as for use with hulls which are not suited to plastic transducers.
07-20-16, 01:06 PM
Q3c: are you implying that on my 2007 fiberglass hull I can easily go with plastic without penalty, i.e. no need for the transducer to outlast the boat or evolving technology?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-20-16, 03:32 PM
Heiri,

Both Bronze and Plastic thru-hull transducers are applicable to fiberglass hulls. The choice comes down to personal preference. Given the relatively small difference in cost and the size of the vessel in question, my choice would be a bronze through hull.