Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] struggling to install out of the box tiller drive x5 mart pilot (p70r display)
12-27-18, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 12-27-18 01:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] struggling to install out of the box tiller drive x5 mart pilot (p70r display)
Deal all,

I am opening a new thread because i did not find any existing discussions which could help solve my problem.

I have just bought on ebay a brand new out of the box a Raymarine Smart Pilot X-5 Tiller but following the manual's rather simple instructions I did not manage to get the pilot working.

The manual (installation & setup guide) starts off with parts supplied and asks to check that all is in the box. This is where the first catch starts because it shows a button display which is not the one which came in the box and also says there is a sea talk cable - (DID NOT come in the box) - which would be comprised of 3 wires and therefore a plug with 3 connections.

The supplied display is called p70r with a dial control and the connections at the back are 2 of the same round with 6 pins on it. (The one showing in the manual has the -+10/-+1 buttons and is called SmarPilot ST6002 Controller - again, this is NOT the one which came in the box)

I tried connecting all the parts together to see if they are working fine before actually getting to the trouble of passing cables and drilling holes and basically i followed the simple instructions on the manual - basically plugging to the x5 brain (Course Computer) the 12v power supply, fluxgate compass and motor (tiller drive unit), plus the display - which is not so straight forward to understand how to plug because of it being different than what shows on the manual. Also supplied is a manual for the display only but in spite of showing quite a few possibilities for supplying power to it, it DOES NOT show how to plug it to the x5 brain and get power from it.

Also supplied and not showed on the manual were some cables and what seems to be a splitter with 5 plugs in line, the 3 inner ones are white and look the same as the 2 on the back of the display (6 pins), the 2 outer ones are blue with 5 pins. There are 2 cables which fit the back of the display and have open wires on the other end...one of them is 3 wires only (black, red and bare) - which i suppose is power supply only and does not send information....the other cable is 5 wires (blue, white, black, red and bare) matching the seatalkNG connection on the brain.

When i plug the display to the brain via the seatalkNG wire it does not switch on.....when i plugged the red/black/bare there is no such matching port on the brain but i wired it to the red and grey terminals on the seatalk and it does switch on but says NO PILOT and does not show any readings from the fluxgate.

i performed voltage reading tests with the meter on the brain...there is 12v on the power bar... there is 12v on the 2 seatalk (red/yellow/grey) ports when measured from the red terminal to the negative on the power supply or to the grey terminal...there is around 2v on the measurement from the seatalkNG red terminal to the gray seatalk or to the negative on the power supply on the brain. Fluxgate shows similar 2v reading.

So the question is what am i doing wrong?...or did the pilot come with the correct items? Is the p70r display compatible with the x5 brain....if the seatalkNG does not power 12v how can the display be switched on/connected to the brain if there is no such seatalk port on the display?

well....any comments would be much appreciated.....

ah....the only thing i did not bother doing was plug the ground plug to the negative on the boat...but for test purposes i suppose it does not matter, the kit should work anyway (i guess)

cheers and merry xmas to yall!!

Charlie Flesch

some pics attached might help understand what's going on
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-27-18, 01:57 PM
RE: [CA11] struggling to install out of the box tiller drive x5 mart pilot (p70r display)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Charlie,

Please note that the X5 Autopilot Core Packs were initially packaged with a ST6002 Autopilot Control Head and later with a ST70 Autopilot Control Head. As shown within your installation guide, the ST6002 Autopilot Control Head was designed to be interfaced the X5 Autopilot Course Computer's SeaTalk terminals via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable having press-fit plugs. One of the plugs would have been removed from this cable to permit it leads to be connected to the X5 Autopilot Course Computer's SeaTalk terminals.

The ST70 Autopilot Control Head on the other hand was designed to be interfaced to as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the X5 Autopilot Course Computer would have also been interfaced as a spur. To support this end the X5 Autopilot Core Pack would have included a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector, a SeaTalkng Power Cable, a pair of SeaTalkng Termination Plugs, and SeaTalkng Spur Cable having bare leads on one one end. The latter cable's bare leads would have been connected to the X5 Autopilot Course Computer's SeaTalkng Terminals. To learn more about SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 Networking, click url=https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/2ulwt6ye4394g6yk3m0t/file/23388950831]here[/url].

When Raymarine introduced the Evolution autopilots (our present series of autopilots), it also introduced the p70 and p70R Autopilot Control Heads. The p70R Autopilot Control Head was primarily intended for use with powerboats, while the p70 Autopilot Control Head was offered primarily for sailboat applications and those preferring is +/-1 & +/-10 buttons over the rotary knob of the p70R. The p70 and p70R Autopilot Control Heads may be used as a replacement for a ST6002 or ST70 Autopilot Control Heads. However, when used with a X-Series Autopilot Computers, the p70/p70R Autopilot Control Head, like the ST70 Autopilot Control Heads, must be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the X5 Autopilot Course Computer would have also been interfaced as a spur.

It is important that both the X5 Autopilot Course Computer and p70/p70R Autopilot Control Heads each be latest available Raymarine product software updates when used together. Should the vessel not be equipped with a Raymarine MFD through which these updates may be performed, then it is recommended that the X5 Autopilot Course Computer and p70R Autopilot Control Head be brought to your Raymarine dealer to be updated with the latest available software.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply