Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Garmin 74CV GPS Connection to Raymarine ST6001 Course Computer
12-28-18, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-18 04:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Garmin 74CV GPS Connection to Raymarine ST6001 Course Computer
I just purchased a Garmin 74CV GPS. I want to connect it to my Raymarine ST6001 course computer so I can use the Garmin as the primary compass source instead of the Raymarine Fluxgate compass so I can navigate to waypoints. Does the attached picture show the correct connections to the course computer?

Or, can I make the connection directly to the control head since it is mounted in the same Navpod? If yes, do you have a diagram or instructions as to which wires to use from the Garmin?

Thanks for any help and guidance.

Mark Gadson

Mark P. Gadson
Email: mpg24446@gmail.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-18, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-18 04:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Garmin 74CV GPS Connection to Raymarine ST6001 Course Computer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mark,

Unfortunately, the Garmin 74CV is not a heading sensing device. Like most GPS sensors, the Garm74CV is designed to calculate course over ground (GOG) based on the direction traveled between two consecutive position updates. Raymarine autopilots of this vintage are exclusively designed function based upon heading data from a magnetic north seeking fluxgate or 10Hz heading source. Accordingly, the autopilot course computer must be interfaced to an operational fluxgate compass or 10Hz source of heading data. While it is possible to interface the NMEA 0183 output port of the Garmin 74CV to either the NMEA 0183 input port of the autopilot or autopilot control head to support use of the autopilot's Track feature, doing so does not negate the autopilot's requirement for heading data.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply