Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AXIOM MFDs and AIS added to Raymarine 2002 sytems
12-29-18, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-18 11:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AXIOM MFDs and AIS added to Raymarine 2002 sytems
Please review my attached schematic.
I would like to keep my old RayChart/Pathfinder system due to the radar for now.
1 Do I need to power the new SeaTalkNG network?
2 Is it OK to have both resistors in the Converter due that I don't have a backbone or should I move one resistor closer to the Axiom 9 with a backbone and a Tee-connector?
3 Is there too many devices on the SeaTalk 1 network, if so, should I have two converters?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Electric Schematic 12-17-2018.pdf (Size: 39.01 KB / Downloads: 288)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-18, 11:29 AM
RE: [CA11] AXIOM MFDs and AIS added to Raymarine 2002 sytems
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tom,

System limitations:
- AIS data will not be shared between the Axiom MFD and the devices on the SeaTalk bus (i.e. RL70C, RC530, etc.).
- It has been our experience that the hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series MFDs will have issues in commanding / cancelling navigation (i.e. Go To Waypoint/Cursor or Follow Route) in such blended systems feature hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Displays when interfaced via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to a MFD running LightHouse II or LightHouse 3 software. You may want to consider interfacing the Axiom MFD to the older equipment via a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.). In doing so, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter shown within your system would be replaced with a simple powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device would then be installed between the NMEA 0183 communications interface of one of the hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Displays and the simple SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q1 Do I need to power the new SeaTalkNG network?
A1. Yes. See the Limitations listed above.

Q2. Is it OK to have both resistors in the Converter due that I don't have a backbone or should I move one resistor closer to the Axiom 9 with a backbone and a Tee-connector?
A2. Two Termination Plugs must be present in the backbone. In this case, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit should be replaced with a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector (part of the simple backbone).

Q3. Is there too many devices on the SeaTalk 1 network, if so, should I have two converters?
A3. N/A ... see the Limitations specified above.
01-03-19, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-19 09:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
REPLY 3. I added the NGW-1-ISO-STNG,
REPLY 4. I am OK with the AIS not communicating with the Pathfinder MFD. And I am OK if the Pathfinder MFD do not operator the Navigation. I am just keeping the Pathfinder for Radar and backup. I could take them out of most of the network if that would be better.
See the attached new schematic.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Electric Schematic 1-3-2019.pdf (Size: 39.38 KB / Downloads: 223)
01-04-19, 06:00 PM
I realize and am OK that the AIS will not be on the old PathFinder MFD.
I am only keeping the old PathFinder MFD for radar and backup.

Please review my attached new schematic and see if it is OK.
I replace the converter with a Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG and a 5-way connector and powered up the SeaTalkNG backbone. I also put a resistor on the backbone as I need the space on the 5-way connector.

If this doesn't work, I could separate the old and the new systems other than I want the navigation (autopilot) on the new system.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Electric Schematic 1-3-2019.pdf (Size: 39.38 KB / Downloads: 207)
01-07-19, 09:23 AM
Tom,

Your diagram incorrectly shows that the NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device will be interfaced to the Tridata. Please note that the Tridata instrument does not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface. Per my initial response, it is recommended that the NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device be installed between the NMEA 0183 communications interface of one of the hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Displays and the simple SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Additionally, your diagram shows four spur connections to the ST-STng 5-Way Connector. As it only features 3 spur sockets, this is not possible. You will need to install an additional spur socket within the backbone to accommodate the fourth spur connection.
01-08-19, 08:16 PM
How does this schematic look?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Electric Schematic 1-7-2019.pdf (Size: 39.46 KB / Downloads: 236)
01-09-19, 08:38 AM
Tom,

You revised diagram incorrectly indicates that the NGW-1-ISO-STNG is connected to the NMEA 0183 communications interface of both hsb2 Pathfinders Series Displays. As indicated within my last response, it should be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 communications interface of one of the hsb2 Pathfinders Series Displays.